Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Measurements in real time through labview

Models 2400, 2401, 2410, 2420, 2425, 2430, 2440, 6430
ninafinamore

Measurements in real time through labview

Post by ninafinamore » November 4th, 2011, 9:59 am

I would like to obtain real time measurements of current and voltage using the 2400 Sourcemeter interfaced with Labview. It seems that for all the drivers provided with the software, real time interfacing is not possible. The ultimate goal is to source a voltage square wave (0V, then +1V, 0V, -1V, 0V and repeating) and measure the resulting current and voltage using a Labview program, and to sync this measurement with other measurements being acquired by other instruments through Labview. So the measurement timing is important. Is this at all possible with the Keithley 2400?

Dale C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Measurements in real time through labview

Post by Dale C » November 4th, 2011, 10:11 am

It is possible to do this real time in Labview.
But it would slow the rate considerably. The internal sweep feature where you could get this pulse always stores the data into the buffer.
Then you have to get the data out after the sweep.
But, if you want to, you can use SCPI commands to set a voltage value, take a reading and then set the voltage value to zero or negative or what ever you need and do it again. You could do this in a loop.
This would have a lot of GPIB communication and would slow it down.
With the internal sweep mode for pulsing yo ucould get probably 500Hz(maybe).
With the SCPI commands in a loop you could maybe get 100Hz?
These are just estimates.

ninafinamore

Re: Measurements in real time through labview

Post by ninafinamore » November 7th, 2011, 3:59 am

Hi,

Thanks so much for the reply. As far as the sampling rate goes, I only need to take data at about 200mHz so using the internal sweep method seems like it will work just fine. I am however having trouble syncing all of my measurements together in Labview. I am taking some data using a NI DAQ which has it's own internal timing, and shows my data in real time. However, I am not exactly sure how to display data taken by the Keithley on a similar timing clock. Also, is there a way to change how much data is stored in the buffer and when it will out put? For example, if I am sweeping from 0 to 1V, can I empty the buffer every 200mV or do I have to wait for the entire sweep to be completed before seeing the data?

Return to “2400 Series SourceMeter”