Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Conductivity Measurement using four point probe

Models 2400, 2401, 2410, 2420, 2425, 2430, 2440, 6430
rockon

Conductivity Measurement using four point probe

Post by rockon » January 4th, 2012, 10:34 am

Hey Everyone,

I am really new to this field. SO my question might be really easy but I still need your help.

I have got old Keithley sourcemeter 2400 in my lab. I want to measure conductivity of glass slide 2.5 cm*2.5 cm coated with an electrically conductive polymer. COuld you please tell me the procedure of measuring conductivity using four point probe. What all attachments I will need, could you please suggest me attachments too which I will need to measure conductivity using four point probe. If possible please suggest me some references too where some detail procedure has been explained.

I will be highly obliged if you can help me out

Thank You.

Nathan S
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Conductivity Measurement using four point probe

Post by Nathan S » January 4th, 2012, 11:23 am

I would go to the following link and request the Low Level Measurements Handbook: http://www.keithley.com/knowledgecenter

In that book, take a look at section 3.3, Low Resistance Measurements and section 4.7.3 Resistivity Measurements of Conductive Materials. There is a 4 point probe section there that goes through some theory.

In short, you would likely use the 2400 in Manual Ohms mode, put the current sourcing leads on the outside connections of the 4 pt probe and the V sense leads on the inside two connections of the 4 point probe. The connections on your probe will determine what cabling you need to go from the safety banana jacks on the 2400 to that probe.

rockon

Post by rockon » January 17th, 2012, 1:25 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have got Keithlet 2420 sourcemeter with me. Could you please suggest what else I will be needing to measure the conductivity. Can you please suggest me the links on this website, so that I can buy it. Again I need to measure conducvity of thin polymer film coated on the slide.

Thanks Again

Nathan S
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Nathan S » January 17th, 2012, 1:34 pm

You need whatever cabling is necessary to connect to your four point probe. You might need 2 of the Model 1754 Universal Test Lead Kits or perhaps 2 of the Model 1681 Clip-On Test Leads. Here is a link to a PDF of our Test Leads and Probes: http://www.keithley.com/data?asset=50660. This is probe-dependent, so I cannot fully answer you questions with regard to this.

Return to “2400 Series SourceMeter”