Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Read the FORCE voltage in 4-wire configuration

Models 2400, 2401, 2410, 2420, 2425, 2430, 2440, 6430
Boyan Boyanov

Read the FORCE voltage in 4-wire configuration

Post by Boyan Boyanov » March 10th, 2018, 11:52 pm

Hi, can anyone tell me how to read both the FORCE voltage ***and*** current from a Keithley 2400 in a 4-wire configuration? This has been asked a couple of times on this forum, but never answered (that I could find).

My measurement is from an electrochemical cell. The working electrode (WE) is connected to FORCE-HI and SENSE-HI. The reference electrode (RE) is connected to SENSE-LO, so as to minimize the current flowing through it via the high input impedance of the SENSE circuit. The counter electrode (CE) is connected to FORCE-LO and also to system ground and provides the current required to satisfy the SMU. As intended the SMU will vary the bias between CE and WE until the voltage between the RE and WE hits the desired value. Therefore the potential of the WE relative to system ground will vary.

This issue at hand is that elsewhere in the system I need to apply a potential that is a fixed amount higher than that of the WE, and therefore I need to know the WE-CE bias, aka FORCE-HI to FORCE-LO. Do I need to do two measurements, first

Code: Select all

:SENSE:FUNCTION 'CURR' ;
:OUTP ON;
?READ;
and then

Code: Select all

:SENSE:FUNCTION 'VOLT';
:OUTP ON;
?READ;
Is there a more elegant way to accomplish this?

Boyan Boyanov

Re: Read the FORCE voltage in 4-wire configuration

Post by Boyan Boyanov » March 11th, 2018, 7:28 pm

According to the 2400 manual (p.6-23)
For voltage measurements, the sense selection (2-wire local or 4-wire remote) determines where the measurement is made. In local sense, voltage is measured at the Input/Output terminals of the SourceMeter. In 4-wire remote sense, voltage CAN (empahsis mine) be measured directly at the DUT using the Sense terminals.
So the $1M question is whether the use of the word CAN imply that the measurement can be done either at the input of sense terminals. I really don't want to have to use a second 2400 just to measure the force voltage.

Return to “2400 Series SourceMeter”