Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Three terminal biasing

Models 2400, 2401, 2410, 2420, 2425, 2430, 2440, 6430
opticld

Three terminal biasing

Post by opticld » June 1st, 2011, 3:42 pm

Hi there,
I have a chip containing diode lasers integrated with photodetectors. The lasers and photodetectors share the same n-contact, so essentially it is a three-terminal circuit (one laser p-contact, one shared n-contact [i.e. common ground] and one photodetector p-contact). I need to forward bias the laser for lasing and reverse bias the photodetector for on-chip photocurrent measurement. Can I use a dual-channel 2400 sourcemeter to forward bias laser (i.e., +V on p, ground on shared n) with one channel and reverse bias the photodetector (i.e., -V on p, ground on shared n) with the other channel? If not, any solutions without isolating the lasers and photodetectors?
Thanks

Thanks a lot.

Nathan S
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Three terminal biasing

Post by Nathan S » June 2nd, 2011, 5:13 am

The 2400 family does not have a single box, dual-channel SourceMeter solution. We can however use 2 of the 2400 family connected together and referenced (Lo) to the same point to accomplish what you are looking to do. Also, the 2600A family does have dual channel SourceMeter units -- the 2602A, 2612A, 2636A. Depending on your source-measure requirements, you could select between those. The power envelopes of those units are shown on page 5 of the Data Sheet that can be found at this link: http://www.keithley.com/support/keidoc_ ... Data+Sheet.

Return to “2400 Series SourceMeter”