Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Output Slew Rate

Models 2400, 2401, 2410, 2420, 2425, 2430, 2440, 6430
pferguson

Output Slew Rate

Post by pferguson » August 9th, 2011, 11:10 am

Does the Slew Rate specification change when you are changing polarity? My initial testing shows me that there is some distortion at the zero crossing but I was wondering if it could be better quantified so I will know what to expect across the entire population of your instruments.

Dale C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Output Slew Rate

Post by Dale C » August 10th, 2011, 12:58 pm

The slew rate spec on a SMU is a maximum rate at which the SMU will drive the output to change the output voltage. There are many cases where moving from point A to point B will result in a slew that is less than the slew rate. In this case, the SMU has to re-configure polarities during the zero crossing, so there is a point at zero where the slewing basically stops until this switch is made, and then the SMU begins to slew again.

This is probably somewhat consistent across the different existing SMUs (24xx, 26xxA), but every instrument doesn't necessarily have this pause at zero. If the app requires slewing through zero, there may be some other instrument that would handle it more smoothly. The only example I can think of is the 6517B - but in general relying on any slew rate spec in most of our instruments as more than a rough guideline won't work well, because the goal is accurate DC performance rather than perfect AC behavior.

Return to “2400 Series SourceMeter”