Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Labview: possible interfaces, using 'examples'

Models 2601, 2602, 2611, 2612, 2635, 2636
Models 2601A, 2602A, 2611A, 2612A, 2635A, 2636A
Models 2601B, 2602B, 2604B, 2611B, 2612B, 2614B, 2634B, 2635B, 2636B
Antonio

Labview: possible interfaces, using 'examples'

Post by Antonio » June 28th, 2016, 3:05 pm

Hello,
As far as I understood, Labview can be a good choice to make automatic measurements, to have more possibilities. Moreover, there is available driver and even examples of programs for 2600B series http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_d ... l_id=24965 .
But I don't have much experience with that and have some questions. First of all, which interfaces can work with those labview drivers/examples? At the NI website it says "IEEE 488.2 (GPIB) , Serial". Is it not possible to use ethernet connection with labview? Is serial connection means RS 232 or USB connection is also possible?
And does device, computer needs some additional set up and adjustment steps (is there any documentation about this issue available?), or if it connected via GPIB or series such labview 'examples' should already work?
Thanks.

Joseph V
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Labview: possible interfaces, using 'examples'

Post by Joseph V » June 29th, 2016, 7:24 am

RS232, USB, GPIB, and Ethernet all work with LabVIEW. The drivers that we supply are VISA based meaning that you could develop a program using USB communication but the same program will also work if you were using GPIB or Ethernet. The following link to National Instruments website gives some more details about VISA.

https://www.ni.com/visa/

Antonio

Post by Antonio » July 1st, 2016, 2:02 am

Thank you. Eventually I have tried both communication by Ethernet and serial connection. Unfortunately, none of them works for me - in all of the cases I have error with Initialize.vi (-107380729).
In the VISA resource name I tried addresses for the TCPIP and ASRL. However, I always have this error.
In Measurement and Automation Explorer I can see in Devices and interfaces device in ASRL and in TCPIP with my addresses.

Any suggestion, what can be wrong, what should I check else, change to avoid this error?
Thanks.

Antonio

Post by Antonio » July 1st, 2016, 9:38 am

So eventually I also have tried USB connection. For some reason the Measurement and Automation Explorer doesnt show me any devices in devices and interfaces (shows some error with unexpected internal warning). Anyway, the good news are that for some mysterious reasons now computer can connect to the device. Config Source&Measure.vi and Factory Pulse Usage.vi from the examples working now (with usb connection).
But when I am trying to perform measurement with advanced sweep (because I need to sweep voltage, and to save the result, which I think, I cannot do with others examples), Keithley shows error 5042 Cannot perfrom requested action while overlapping action is in process. The labview shows error -107400000 , writes also something about the overlapping action, and then queue is empty.
I dont do any other action during the same time so have no idea what can be the problem.

UPD. Its also works in advanced sweep if I just make sweep (pulse mode on, output data off, measurement disable). If measurement is disabled but data out is enabled, I have another error - inded exceeds maximum reading

jaime_g

Post by jaime_g » July 4th, 2016, 4:06 pm

From experience I found out is much easier to use a GPIB or IEEE-488 interface. The GPIB address "X" is read directly from the instrument and is translated into the VISA address as GPIB0::X::INSTR. When using a serial interface (RS-232) the PC allocates a COM port that needs to be programmed to match the serial communications settings. The visa address in this case depends on the PC allocation of the COM port. For example, if the PC selects COM 17, the VISA address is ASRL17::INSTR. However, you need to convert COM XX to ASRLXX::INSTR then cascade it through your LabVIEW code. LabVIEW does not do the conversion for you. Using USB communication requires a longer VISA address to be used to talk to the instrument. Also make sure that a VISA session is OPEN before sending control commands to the instrument and don't forget to close the VISA session at the end of the program using a VISA CLOSE.

I have enclosed a couple of VIs i created to find Serial and USB VISA resources.
Attachments
Find USB VISA Names.vi
LabVIEW 2015 Find USB VISA Resources
(18.17 KiB) Downloaded 1607 times
Find Serial VISA Names.vi
LabVIEW 2015 Find Serial VISA Resources
(22.61 KiB) Downloaded 1621 times

Antonio

Post by Antonio » August 23rd, 2016, 2:46 pm

So I would continue here to not create several topics...

Eventually I managed to communicate with Keithley and run simple examples. Sweeping with one channel (advanced sweep example) work ok, and also tried to modify usual Source Measure example to have cycle with sweep for one channel, and no sweep for the other. Since this example was easier to modify, and its not completely clear for me how to add another channel to the advanced sweep example and use both buffers at the same time.

Anyway, my current question is the following:
What I actually need is to have a sweep in one channel, and constant voltage applied to the other channel, and at each step readout current of both channels. Basically, the same what can be done with TSP Express but in labview - to have possibility of automatic measurement many times, etc. But my question is - can be TSP script used in the labview? I have seen example called Factory Pulse Script. Can I just write script in TSP/Lua and then use it in labiew, using this example? Because syntaxis of thes scripts well described in the manuals, but labview functions (listed in VI tree) - not. And I guess, for me would be easier to write code for me sweep and then just 'load it' to Keithley? Is it possible to do like that or would you reccomend some other way?
Do you have also some other examples, maybe anything related to this two-channel sweep?

Many thanks

Amjad_F

Post by Amjad_F » May 24th, 2017, 4:25 am

I am using Ke 2601 and trying to do voltage sweep with example program (KE26XXA Advanced Sweep) provided by Keithley, with RS-232 cable.
But I am getting error: -1073807339
I think this is related to communication failure with SMU. However using hyperterminal I am successfully communicating with SMU.

Can anyone please suggest me any solution?

Francois

Post by Francois » June 13th, 2018, 7:03 am

Antonio wrote:
August 23rd, 2016, 2:46 pm
So I would continue here to not create several topics...

Eventually I managed to communicate with Keithley and run simple examples. Sweeping with one channel (advanced sweep example) work ok, and also tried to modify usual Source Measure example to have cycle with sweep for one channel, and no sweep for the other. Since this example was easier to modify, and its not completely clear for me how to add another channel to the advanced sweep example and use both buffers at the same time.

Anyway, my current question is the following:
What I actually need is to have a sweep in one channel, and constant voltage applied to the other channel, and at each step readout current of both channels. Basically, the same what can be done with TSP Express but in labview - to have possibility of automatic measurement many times, etc. But my question is - can be TSP script used in the labview? I have seen example called Factory Pulse Script. Can I just write script in TSP/Lua and then use it in labiew, using this example? Because syntaxis of thes scripts well described in the manuals, but labview functions (listed in VI tree) - not. And I guess, for me would be easier to write code for me sweep and then just 'load it' to Keithley? Is it possible to do like that or would you reccomend some other way?
Do you have also some other examples, maybe anything related to this two-channel sweep?

Many thanks
Hi Antonio,

I am trying to do what you describe with a 2602B. Did you ever had any luck? Could you share some insight?

Thanks!

Return to “2600 Series SourceMeter”