Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Keithley 6430 measuring current and voltage

236, 237, 238 etc
FFerraz

Keithley 6430 measuring current and voltage

Post by FFerraz » February 8th, 2018, 9:07 am

Greetings,

I would like to do the following measurement:

- Apply with a different component a arbitrary wave with a frequency around kHz.

- Measure with the Keithley 6430 current and voltage, if possible, or just current in that frequency.

I was trying to accomplish that using LabVIEW but I can't measure in any situation the voltage and current simultaneously in the two-wire sense connection. Can you help me giving me some advices of how could I measure in such way?

When I press toggle it measures the current correctly but the voltage is always zero (voltage source with 000.00mv range)

Thanks.

Andrea C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Keithley 6430 measuring current and voltage

Post by Andrea C » February 12th, 2018, 3:03 pm

A SourceMeter product like the 6430 always will source either voltage or current. Typically it is used to measure the opposite parameter of what it sources (source V, measure I). It can do source read back of the sourced value if you want to double check the sourced value rather than just rely upon the source accuracy spec, but since the 6430 has only one A/D converter, the source read back reading is a second reading. It is not performed simultaneously with the normal measurement.

A SourceMeter can be configured to behave like an current meter by configuring it to force 0V and measure I. Wire it in series with the device.
It can be a volt meter by configuring it for force 0Amps and measure V. Wire it in parallel with the device.

Overall reading rates for the 6430 will be much slower than the 1KHz. Check out pg 4 of the datasheet.
https://www.tek.com/search?keywords=643 ... Adatasheet

FFerraz

Re: Keithley 6430 measuring current and voltage

Post by FFerraz » February 16th, 2018, 4:24 am

Thank you for your reply. I think I will have to try a different approach.

Return to “Other Source Measurement Units (SMU)”