Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

6487 low current measurement setup

rpraneeth06

6487 low current measurement setup

Post by rpraneeth06 » March 1st, 2016, 11:09 am

I am trying to get an I-V curve for a Solar cell using 6487

1. I am new to using such instruments, What does a chassis connection mean? should the chassis and LO terminal of the triax cable be connected to the same terminal?

2. According to fig 3.3 of the manual, i understand that the diode be connected to the HI and LO terminals of the triax cable and the voltage high be connected to the input Hi cable and the voltage low be connected to the LO terminal of the triax cable. Is this connection correct?

Andrea C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: 6487 low current measurement setup

Post by Andrea C » March 4th, 2016, 5:07 am

What does a chassis connection mean? should the chassis and LO terminal of the triax cable be connected to the same terminal?
ANS: not necessarily. The chassis ground is the earth ground connection provided with your 3-prong AC power. The LO of the 6487 is isolated from chassis ground and can float as high at 505V (common mode voltage) from chassis ground.
Fig 3-3 in manual is showing connection of chassis to a metal safety shield enclosure.
2. According to fig 3.3 of the manual, i understand that the diode be connected to the HI and LO terminals of the triax cable and the voltage high be connected to the input Hi cable and the voltage low be connected to the LO terminal of the triax cable. Is this connection correct?
ANS: I'd instead say that the diode will be connected between the HI of the triax cable and the voltage source HI. To complete the circuit, the LO of the triax and the LO of the voltage source are connected together.
It would be like this:
picoammeter_low_side_measure.PNG
picoammeter_low_side_measure.PNG (7.21 KiB) Viewed 9566 times

doncross

Re: 6487 low current measurement setup

Post by doncross » January 3rd, 2018, 6:43 pm

Where you successful setting up the I-V measurement system?If so please assist me with the detailed set-up.Am having the exact same problem.I just started using these types of instruments very recently and there seem to be very little information - about the 6487 model.

Return to “Low Current Measurements”