Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

2636B: Measuring current without sourcing DUT

Slev1n

2636B: Measuring current without sourcing DUT

Post by Slev1n » March 2nd, 2019, 12:53 am

Hey guys,

I was wondering if it is possible (with 2 probes) to measure the current consumption of a device which is powered by battery using 2636B.

E.g. to use the 2636B like a shunt. Is this possible with 2 probes using high sense and low sense somehow?

kind regards
Slev1n

Andrea C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: 2636B: Measuring current without sourcing DUT

Post by Andrea C » March 2nd, 2019, 9:56 am

It is possible.

Keep in mind, the SMU is always forcing something and limiting the opposite parameter. If forcing voltage, it limits current.

To have the SMU behave like an AMP meter, insert it into your circuit using the force HI and force LO. Config it to force 0V and set current limit higher than the expected current in the circuit.

Make sure the SMU is floating. On rear of 2636B, there is small three position green Phoenix connector for optional connection of SMU LO to chassis Ground. Do not ground the SMU LO. Also do not connect it to second SMU channel LO. Let your AMP meter float.

You will use the force HI and LO for this.

The Sense HI and Sense LO are optional means to control where the voltage feedback/voltage measurement is made. Since voltmeter is high input impedance, negligible current flows on the sense lines. They cannot be used to measure current.

Slev1n

Re: 2636B: Measuring current without sourcing DUT

Post by Slev1n » March 7th, 2019, 11:40 pm

Thank you for your reply, I managed to use the 2636B as I-Meter. I set it to High-Z (https://static.rapidonline.com/pdf/1164906_an_en_01.pdf page 102)

I used the following triaxial ports:
1. Channel A HI (the middle one of the three ports in the upper right corner of the backplate)
2. A LO (below A HI, but NOT left to A HI port)

Return to “Low Current Measurements”