Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Fast Continous Remote Measurement With 6517B

mickw89

Fast Continous Remote Measurement With 6517B

Post by mickw89 » November 30th, 2020, 1:02 pm

We have a Keithley 6517B electrometer in our lab and I'd like to use to perform a fast (>100 samples per second) continuous measurement. I've been able to communicate with it using python (PyMeasure) and a GPIB-USB converter. I can configure the buffer size, have it perform measurements, filling up the buffer and I can poll the MSB bit so see when the buffer is full and read the buffer. What I'd like to know is how should I go about making this into a continous measurement without sacrificing most of the speed. I can do continous single measurements by read/writing :MEAS? but this is too slow and results in about 1-2 samples/second. I know the Keithley can be fast, with 0.01 nplc and and lsync off I get down to about 2.3 ms per sampls (still more than the 0.01 nplc but fast enough for my application). I'd like the Keithley to keep filling the buffer while I read chunks of the buffer, but I don't know how to do that.

P.S. A side issue I have is that we operate with a 50 Hz mains but for some reason the 0.01 nplc results in a 1.6667E-4 aperture instead of 2E-4 and I don't understand why that happens.

Andrea C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Fast Continous Remote Measurement With 6517B

Post by Andrea C » December 17th, 2020, 4:53 am

From datasheet, the reading rates across the bus will be ~400Hz, so your achieved rate of 2.3msec per reading is already at the limit for what it can do.
There is a 2V analog output signal. You could monitor that with a DMM or Scope.
Range changes affect the 2V scale factor so that is a consideration.

HakimJacob

Re: Fast Continous Remote Measurement With 6517B

Post by HakimJacob » January 4th, 2021, 8:52 am

Hi...I approach in the lab to a Keithley 6517B electrometer, and labview 2009, and I need to make an interface with labview to quantify current I, voltage V or opposition, simultaneously I need utilize the 6517B electrometer as a wellspring of voltage or current to assess qualities before referenced, I have the fundamental equipment ( Keithley GPIB KUSB-488A).

I see the models remembered for the driver and in the site of keithley, yet non incorporate the yield of voltage/ebb and flow model. I don't have a lot of involvement, however I am ready to actualize what is important to gauge, yet not for design it as voltage/current source.

The thought is to have the option to quantify: as model, volume resistivity or the current in presence of a voltage (6517 as a source) and view a diagram and save the information produced.

order pcb

Return to “Low Current Measurements”