Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

strain gauge setup

bvegam

strain gauge setup

Post by bvegam » September 10th, 2015, 12:50 pm

Hi all,

I do not have much experience with the Keithley 6514 and I am trying to determine if I can use it as a sort of DAQ for a number of strain gauges to be installed on the surface of a material.
If so, would you indulge me in a resource of how to set these instruments together?

Appreciate your advice.

Dale C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: strain gauge setup

Post by Dale C » September 11th, 2015, 5:47 am

Model 6514 is an electrometer and can measure voltage, current, resistance and charge. And it is a single channel.
I assume the strain gage outputs voltage.
The Model 6514 can measure voltage from 10uV to 200V. The special feature of the voltage measuring capability of the Model 6514 is the input resistance. It is extremely high(2e14 ohms) causing virtually no load on the source.
Usually this is not needed for strain gages.
If all this is ok then the Model 6514 can be used to make voltage measurements on the strain gage.
If you need to send this data to a PC then the 65174 has both GPIB and RS-232 for communication busses.

Return to “Low Voltage Measurements”