Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Science fair advice needed

cathyg3

Science fair advice needed

Post by cathyg3 » October 16th, 2013, 6:55 am

My daughter wants to do a science fair experiment that involves reading the electrical signals in plants, but the cost of a multimeter with data logging is very high. One of the researchers in this field answered my daughter's email and said that she could use a KEITHLEY DMM. But his research uses the 2000 model, which we can't afford. Would the old models 169, 177, 179 work? Would she need an amplifier (like the AD623) connecting the Ag/AgCl electrodes to the DMM? What sort of output recording would be used for these old models? This paper talks about what she's interested in: Fromm and Lautner, Electrical signals and their physiological significance in plants Plant, Cell & Environment,Volume 30, Issue 3. But we won't need to sample faster than about 100 Hz. Thank you!

Dale C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Science fair advice needed

Post by Dale C » October 17th, 2013, 10:09 am

Well, first of all the 169, 177 and 179 would only sample at three readings per second.
I know the 169 or 179 did not have a recorder output.
But the Model 177 did. But still could not read faster than three per second.
You might be able to find an old used Model 2000 on ebay something like.
That is probably your best bet.

Return to “Low Voltage Measurements”