Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

TCPIP Low Frequency Error on "Print Number.vi"

Model 2651A
Drew_MAS

TCPIP Low Frequency Error on "Print Number.vi"

Post by Drew_MAS » October 15th, 2012, 2:44 pm

I am using the LV2009 drivers to communicate with a 2651a in TCPIP mode which works very well; however, every so often when making an IV measurement, I am getting a timeout error from the Print number.vi call. I can clear the error; however, the read/write buffer will retain the reading from the timeout until I clear the buffers. My question is, has anyone seen this error and how did you fix it? Right now I am looking at a retry loop to try and get the reading after a timeout. I will also clear the buffers before trying the reading again.

I have had this error twice in the past week. The system is part of a power performance system that is running for months and the timeout error causes me to interrupt the experiment which is not making my customer happy.

Also, the code I based my acquisition loop is the "KE26XX Config Source & Measure.vi" with a few modifications for four wire configuration and maintaining the communication link to the instrument.

Thanks,
Drew

Vince W
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: TCPIP Low Frequency Error on "Print Number.vi"

Post by Vince W » October 16th, 2012, 2:53 pm

I have not seen these timeout errors while communicating with the 2651A via Ethernet.

I suggest that you check the VISA library you are using to make sure it is updated, just in case there is an issue with your vendor's VISA libraries.

You can check the VISA attribute for the TCPIP interface you are using with the viGetAttribute() call. This would be part of the VISA libraries installed on your system and then accessed from LabView. The attribute to query is the VI_ATTR_TMO_VALUE attribute which is usually 2000 (2 seconds). I am not sure whether the LV 2009 driver sets timeouts or not - it is something we would have to investigate. You could try increasing this timeout attribute and if the problem does not change, it is likely a different issue.

There could be many issues related to infrequent communication timeouts.
For example,
* Heavy LAN traffic (downloading or watching videos on the LAN subnet while you are waiting for a response from the instrument) - to avoid this dedicate one LAN port in the computer for communications with the instrument, and use a separate LAN port for other communications
* Sleep timers on your computer - if you are using a laptop that reduces power for peripheral interfaces after inactivity on the keyboard,
* Antivirus scans or software updates during instrument communications
A Greater Measure of Confidence

Vince W
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Vince W » October 16th, 2012, 2:55 pm

For some reason, we can not post the word V I S A. So if you see a dash, please substitute that word.
A Greater Measure of Confidence

Drew_MAS

Post by Drew_MAS » October 16th, 2012, 3:26 pm

Vince,

Thanks for the response. I will have to check the LV V1SA library, but I am pretty certain it is within one or two versions of the current one. I will double check the timeout attribute and look at increasing its duration.

Good thing is that the communication is on a dedicated port on the PC.

I will post again soon.

Drew

Return to “2651A High Current SourceMeter”