Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Trouble setting up low Voltage Cut off for Battery test

Model 2651A
BatteryMaker

Trouble setting up low Voltage Cut off for Battery test

Post by BatteryMaker » August 27th, 2013, 2:52 pm

I am still trying to fine tune charge discharge process of the battery using Keithley equipment 2651A. I am however, still struggling with one key issue. This issue is figuring out how to set up a low voltage cut off on the battery. Of course it's a common sense to do this when you are working with a rechareable battery.
Just look at the attached chart. The red line is that of the voltage during charge and discharge. During discharge, you notice that it goes below 0. As far as I know I'm not able to set this up on TSBexpress and it's pissing me off. :ugeek: :?: :x

But trying to do this on TSB express software is just making it difficult for me. Perhaps I need to configure a SDM routine on this instead of doing a single Sweep measurement. Anyways, I had created an excel file with 1000 data points to charge and discharge the battery at a constant current. During this time, I can specify what should be the compliance voltage. If I put in say 1.1V, then I can charge my battery up to this volt, but when I discharge it, it goes to negative voltages. In other words I need to setup an "Asymmetric compliance limit". I mean it seems like its such an obvious thing to do, but I can't figure it out on this software. So i want the upper CMPL Voltage limit set at 1.1V during sourcing, but when sinking, I want this CMPL voltage set at 10mV. So I am discharging at a constant current, but I want it to stop at specified compliance voltage limit. I don't want it going negative. So I need an option for this low voltage cut off limit. How do I get this setup. Please HELP..... I have attached here a result of a battery charge and discharge cycle. You notice how this cycle drifts downwards. This is because it is going in a negative voltage territory. This will damage my battery. Right now the software that came with Keithley doesn't give me an option to specify this. So please Help. here are my parameters.

Charge the battery at constant current, 5 to 10 mA, until the voltage reaches the compliance voltage of say 1.1V, then immediately start discharging it at 5 or 10 mA, until it reaches a low voltage cut off limit of around 10mV. Then Repeat this cycle again 10 more times. This is what I'm trying to configure. If you have a SDM or any other project file that can do this, could you please share by emailing it to me at [email protected].

Aneil
Attachments
photo1.JPG
photo1.JPG (963.27 KiB) Viewed 11868 times

Kenneth P
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Trouble setting up low Voltage Cut off for Battery test

Post by Kenneth P » September 5th, 2013, 8:32 am

Hello,

TSP Express is designed to provide IV sweep capability. The type of sequence you are attempting is a custom scripting development. TSP Express does not provide this type of capability however it is possible to acheive this type of operation via the Instrument Command Language. Ideally, a program environment such as LabVIEW, Visual C++, etc. can offer the type of program interface that should be used with the ICL. If these are not available, Test Script Builder can be used however the data management isn't as convenient as the program environments noted. While using Test Script Builder, one possible solution for data management is to use the USB port on the front panel to write to a file on a memory stick.
Aside from this, the only other option in TSB is to copy the data that is output onto the Instrument Console.

BatteryMaker

Re: Trouble setting up low Voltage Cut off for Battery test

Post by BatteryMaker » September 10th, 2013, 10:32 pm

I mean common man, that is not gonna help me. Can I try running the script that you said you were going to write to do this?

Return to “2651A High Current SourceMeter”