Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

What is the fastest way to extract data from smu?

Models 2450, 2460, 2461, 2470
Gotleyb

What is the fastest way to extract data from smu?

Post by Gotleyb » October 12th, 2021, 8:34 am

Hello,
I'm using Matlab with SCPI commands to communicate (via USB) with the 2450smu. I'm doing a voltage sweep to perform low currents measurement, but it takes a very long time.
The bottleneck is the function fscanf(obj_2450) which is used for reading the data from the instrument at every iteration. It takes about 0.4sec for one read, which seems to me extremely slow. Is there a better and faster way to do it? Should I change the reading method? Maybe using USB?
What if I'll save everything in the instrument's buffer and only at the end of the loop I'll download it to the computer?

Andrea C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: What is the fastest way to extract data from smu?

Post by Andrea C » October 13th, 2021, 5:18 pm

Sounds like you are doing you sweep from a loop on the PC side?
In the loop you command a source voltage and then measure the current?
That would be the slowest way.

Using the built in sweep function might be first good step. This will operate based on start,stop and number of steps. All the data is transferred at the end.

Also look at your measure settings like nplc, filter and lowrange. If your measured currents are quite low, the 10nA range does impose some settling time (~150msec) by default.

Gotleyb

Re: What is the fastest way to extract data from smu?

Post by Gotleyb » October 15th, 2021, 1:04 pm

Hi,. thank you for your response. Yes, I'm doing a sweep using a loop from my PC. This is because I have several instruments that I need to synchronize in every iteration.
Nevertheless, even if I will use the built-in sweep function I don't know how to read all the data at once, because fscanf only read one measurement every time.

Return to “2450/2460/2461/2470 Touchscreen SourceMeter”