Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Error: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040038

Use this forum for questions about Keithley KickStart software.
John_A

Error: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040038

Post by John_A » November 15th, 2018, 9:39 am

I've been receiving an error code (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040038) when operating my meter in the IV characterizer mode on KickStart software. The error usually occurs under these parameters: Current bias (0.1A), 2500 measurements, 30 second delay (I'm trying to have continuous long-term measurement data for ~20 hours). The error results in all the data for the measurement duration to be lost.

As these measurements occur overnight, I usually find the error in the morning when I return to the computer (I make sure to leave the computer running)

The error only occurs about 50% of the time, which has been confusing me on the cause.

Meter Model/info: MODEL 2400, Firmware C25 - Aug 19 2002, Serial No. 0892226
Meter is connected to the computer by a GBIP-USB connection (manufactured by National Instruments)

Software Version 1.5.0.22

I'm able to get the meter to reliably measure for smaller amounts of time (~3-4 hours) and it occasionally works for for 20 hours
Please let me know of any remedies to this problem, or other software options I may have for recording long-term electrical measurements

Thank you,
John

Jennifer C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Error: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040038

Post by Jennifer C » November 19th, 2018, 8:45 am

Hi John_A,

KickStart version 1.5 is quite old. There have been several upgrades to the KickStart 1.x platform since then. But actually, I'd really like to see you try KickStart 2. It has several advantages for your application, including the following:
  • KickStart 2 streams data directly from the instrument to file, so even in the event of a power outage, your data is safe on the PC storage media.
  • KickStart 2 can store lots more data than KickStart 1.x, actually billions of readings, so it is better for long term datalogging needs.
  • KickStart 2 can also auto-export the data or graph to .csv or .png if you want a second backup of the file.
Please try to download and try the latest version of KickStart 2 here (version 2.0.5): https://www.tek.com/software/kickstart/2-0-5

Please let us know what you think of the software by emailing [email protected].

Regards,

Jennifer

Return to “KickStart”