Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

KEI-590 capacitance and conductance reading

microReseach

KEI-590 capacitance and conductance reading

Post by microReseach » June 1st, 2016, 3:26 pm

I am using the KEI-590 front panel to get capacitance and conductance readings from thin film conductive polymers. Following the manual it sounds like RG-58 coaxial cables are a must, with some form of probe station setup. The only probe station I have access to only accepts banana connectors. The set-up I have currently been using is BNC male to dual binding post adapters at input and output on front panel. Then I am tying the black post "assumed outer shields" together, and using banana leads with alligator clips for the red posts input and output connected to device under test. This setup frequently gives an overload error, which the manual says means the setup is running to much current. Testing actual capacitors and resistors the values for capacitance and conductance have all been with in 3 or less in the specified scale being tested. I am wondering if this setup is inherently wrong, as I feel the read values should be significantly closer to rated values of capacitors and resistors being tested. On testing thin film conductive polymers I tend to get negative capacitance readings.

Dale C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: KEI-590 capacitance and conductance reading

Post by Dale C » June 6th, 2016, 6:36 am

I had trouble following the setup information, but it sounds like you were shorting something if you got an overload error. Maybe you can post a photograph of the setup? I would suggest that you measure the open circuit capacitance with no connections and see if the offset is within spec. Then, add your cabling setup that you described, compensation for the cables, and verify that the open circuit capacitance measurements are reasonable.

The maximum current compliance on the 590 dc voltage bias source is 50mA. We don’t recommend making measurements on low impedance samples. You should probably measure the resistance of his sample to verify that this material can be measured with the 590.

microReseach

Re: KEI-590 capacitance and conductance reading

Post by microReseach » June 6th, 2016, 8:45 am

Attached is a - of the setup. I tied the two black posts on the adapters together with a banana lead. The red post have banana leads going to input and output of sample. I tried two banana leads on black posts both going to a grounding source and the overload message still occurred before a measurement was taken.
Attachments
WP_20160601_005.jpg
590 setup
WP_20160601_005.jpg (718.2 KiB) Viewed 11091 times

Return to “Other Keithley Instrument Products”