Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

delay time between commands on Keithley 230 voltage source

robbiedoes

delay time between commands on Keithley 230 voltage source

Post by robbiedoes » July 1st, 2013, 5:28 am

With GPIB (under IEEE 488.1 protocol) I am trying to program a Keithley 230 programmable voltage source. The only thing I do is writing a certain voltage in a string to the device by VISA write (for 1 Volt I send V1F1X). When i continuously switch the voltage from 0 V to 1 V and back, producing a block wave, the time between each cycle is around 160 ms, which i have observed with an oscilloscope. This is way too long for my application (must be between 1-20 ms). Is there an internal delay between each write operation? Or is there a way to speed up the GPIB communication with the device. In the manual it says that the response time of the device is less than 3 ms.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Dale C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: delay time between commands on Keithley 230 voltage sour

Post by Dale C » July 1st, 2013, 7:49 am

The default "Dwell Time" on the Model 230 is 0.003 seconds.
But this is only for using the memory and sweeping through the memory points.
If you are sending commands to change th voltage value then I would expect to have the value changed within about 10msec or so.
Not 160msec. not sure where the time delay is for this long.

Return to “Other Keithley Instrument Products”