Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Fan Noise

2280S-32-6, 2280S-60-3
OmironB

Fan Noise

Post by OmironB » January 24th, 2015, 12:11 pm

I've noticed that while the fan is pretty quiet when you first turn on the PSU, it gets quite a bit louder once the system has booted up fully. This would suggest the fan is under software control. It appears though that the fan is running at quite a high RPM even when the PSU is not being loaded, which would seem unnecessary. Is there any chance a future firmware upgrade could improve on this? It would be nice if the PSU could be quieter acoustically when not loaded or when only very lightly loaded.

Norbert W
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Fan Noise

Post by Norbert W » January 26th, 2015, 5:29 am

Hello,

I will enter your request in our quality database as an enhancement request.
Thank you for sharing your observation.

friedl

Post by friedl » September 5th, 2017, 8:51 am

We've just aquired a 2281S-20-6 and I as well would like to see the fan being controlled by software according to the current load condition.
MfG/Regards
Friedl

jcurtis

Post by jcurtis » March 27th, 2021, 3:39 am

I received a new 2281S in early March, and the fan noise is still an issue. During boot, it is much quieter but once it's booted up the fan seems to go up to full speed. I am on the latest firmware too.

trophosphere

Post by trophosphere » June 20th, 2021, 1:33 pm

I have two 2280S power supplies and have noticed that the fan noise on the one with an earlier firmware version is quieter. Given this, I started playing around with downgrading/upgrading the firmware on both the units and it appears (at least to my ears) that the fan noise increases on each later firmware version compared to the prior. Thus, downgrading to the earliest firmware version results in the lowest fan noise at least on idle/lightly loaded. I would be interested if others have the same experience in both the 2280S and 2281S realm.

Return to “Series 2280 Precision Measurement DC Power Supplies”