Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

2260B Power Supply

2260B-30-36, 2260B-30-72, 2260B-80-13, 2260B-80-27
uzziah0

2260B Power Supply

Post by uzziah0 » January 14th, 2015, 3:02 pm

First ---- I tried to enter a post in the forum for the 2260B, but it was empty, and I can not add a new post to that. Not sure why! If you want to move this there, that would be OK with me.
I came to the forums from the Keithly web page, because the Keithly web page seemed to have that as the source of help.

So, I have a 2260B power supply. The programmer manual has all sorts of examples, but they are all the same, accessing the device using an IP. I'm not doing that, and any other details in the programmer or use manual don't discuss anything else.
I have a terminal program that I can query the id, and it is successful.
When I try to replicate that in National Instruments Lab Window CVI (not LabView) it does not work. I tried to Open the port, Write to the COM port (mine is COM5) and read back from it, but it doesn't work; there is no response.
Here is my chunk of code:

port = 5;
status = OpenComConfig(port, "COM5", 9600, 0, 8, 1, 512, 512);
status = ComWrt(port, "*idn?", 5);
status = ComRd(port, buf, 100);

At the end, I look at buf, it should have the Keithly response, with the manufacturer and so forth. The return status should have the number of bytes returned.
status = 0, and buf has not changed after the read.

If there is an example hidden somewhere in the forums, that would help me greatly.
If someone has some C code that does this, please post a copy, or let me know what I am missing or doing wrong.

I am using a Windows 7 PC;
I can see the 2260B device in the ports on this PC, and it is COM5.

When I run the terminal program, I get this:
*idn?
Keithley Instruments Inc.,Model 2260B-30-72,1401794,01.55.20140414

Andrea C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: 2260B Power Supply

Post by Andrea C » January 15th, 2015, 3:32 am

You seem to be using RS-232 the communication bus. The 2260B has USB or Ethernet interfaces. Also there is an optional USB to GPIB adapter. Do you have some sort of RS-232 converter that allows you to connect to one of the interfaces on the 2260B?

Since your terminal program is working, I suggest you try adding a terminator character onto the strings you send from the CVI program. Try a line feed first. Carriage return is another idea.

uzziah0

Post by uzziah0 » January 15th, 2015, 6:25 am

Andrea, Thanks for the idea of the LF. I will give that a go when I get back to the lab.
I am using the USB connection. If there is a better method to access rather than as a COM port, I would prefer to use that.
Thanks

Andrea C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Andrea C » January 15th, 2015, 12:25 pm

The USB interface on the 2260B power supply is USB CDC class (rather than USB TMC).
The USB interface of this class attaches to traditional RS-232 communications.

Since you have a COM port number, it sounds like you provided the inf file when you first plugged the USB interface into your computer and the 2260B shows up in Windows Device Manager. If not, the USB device driver for 2260B is here:
http://www.keithley.com/support/keidoc_ ... are+Driver

Did the use of a terminator allow successful communication from CVI?

uzziah0

Post by uzziah0 » January 15th, 2015, 2:31 pm

I did use the INF file from the Keithly web site. Is this the only way to access this device over a COM port? It is OK this way, but if something else is better that would be good. I'm not going to be using the network port though, because the PCs I'm using don't have an extra network port.

I tried the LF and it still had no reply.
I tried LF, LF + CR, CR + LF, and CR.

The terminal program I have appends an LF (found that in the settings). It also works at different baud rates.

Any other advice would be appreciated, or if Keithy has some sample code (the documentation only shows an example using a network port).

Return to “Series 2260 Programmable DC Power Supplies”