Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Probing sense resistor with 2182A

2182 Series Support
omranh

Probing sense resistor with 2182A

Post by omranh » April 6th, 2015, 5:49 am

Hi

I want to probe the voltage across a sense resistor on a PCB. I am using 2182A with the cable that has spade lugs termination. I would like to know what is the best way to probe the resistor? Shall I solder a wire to the resistor and then use a crocodile/alligator cable to connect it with the spade lug? Any better suggestions?
I noticed that there are four copper crocodile clips that come with 2182A. Can I fix the spade lug to the crocodile clip using the screw in the crocodile? I am not going to measure temperature (I will just measure voltage drop), but I notice that when I did that (fixing the spade lug to the crocodile using the screw) the temp jumped from 21 oC to 29oC. Any explanation for this?

Thanks!

brian.d.smith
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Probing sense resistor with 2182A

Post by brian.d.smith » April 6th, 2015, 6:28 am

Yes you can screw the alligator clip to the spade lug. They are all copper to minimize dissimilar metal voltages.

What temperature are you measuring? With what instrument are you measuring temperature?
If you are touching the clips, you will heat them up and cause an induced voltage. Does the temperature settle down eventually?

A photograph of your setup with all instruments and cables would be helpful.

omranh

Post by omranh » April 6th, 2015, 8:00 am

But in the video below I noticed that the cable he uses doesn't have spade lug termination. How can I get a similar cable?
http://www.keithley.com/centralized_dis ... etid=56995

Dale C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Dale C » April 6th, 2015, 8:18 am

The cable used in the video is modified with the alligator clips.
These clips are solid copper and are connected to channel 1 wires on the cable.
You can do the same thing with your alligator clips and cable.

Return to “Nanovoltmeters”