Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

6487 not recognized

2502, 6485, 6487 - Support
thinkle

6487 not recognized

Post by thinkle » June 29th, 2015, 10:18 am

Hello,

I am having trouble with a Keithley 7487 -. The device is not able to be recognized by any of the standard software, e.g. Keithley Communicator, Keithley Configuration Panel, NI VISA Interactive Control, etc.. The Keithley is connected to the computer via a KUSB-488b plug. Other devices in the lab with similar configurations are running just fine, but for whatever reason this one is giving us trouble. Also, this device was previously running fine but "stopped working abruptly" according to a coworker.

To test the device, I run the Keithley Configuration Wizard. In that program, I select "Add" device. Then, select GPIB for the communication bus, and 22 for the GPIB address (22 matches the address on the hardware itself). On the following screen, I have tried selecting both "Auto-detect Instrument Driver - Model" and "KE6485 - MODEL 6487" options. In either case, the wizard returns the following error:
Problem:
This wizard could not find a physical instrument at the hardware resource you specified:
GPIB Address 22 on GPIB0
Homebrew applications we've written to command the Keithley are also no longer working.

My attempt at a solution was to uninstall and reinstall all of the Keithley instrument drivers, the Keithley I/O Layer software, and NI VISA. I have also made sure that the GPIB address on the device matches the address I select in the configuration wizard, the device is powered on, etc. I also tried other really basic things, like moving the USB connection to a different slot, replugging in the KUSB connector, etc.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I also tried updating to the most recent version of the firmware (A06), and while the installation says the update installed correctly on my PC, when I turn on the Keithley the firmware version still says A05.

I'm really at a loss for what to do here. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Andrea C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: 6487 not recognized

Post by Andrea C » July 1st, 2015, 4:41 am

When you power on the 6487, does it display the command language and GPIB address (SCPI ADDR: 22)?

If you push the COMM button, does it display "COMM: GPIB"?

If your instrument was somehow configured for RS-232 instead of GPIB, this would explain the lack of response on the GPIB bus.

If you can successfully communicate with other instruments over GPIB, then it is unlikely that you have a software problem on the computer or in the KUSB-488B.

thinkle

Post by thinkle » July 1st, 2015, 9:28 am

Yes to both of your questions; the address reads 22, language reads SCPI, and COMM is set to GPIB.

I also know that the GPIB-USB connection is working in some capacity, since the computer detects that there is a GPIB connection to the USB port the device is plugged in to.

Which downloads are required for the Keithley to function? I assume that the Keithley I/O Layer and IVI/VISA-based Driver are all that is needed, since both are listed on the Keithley web page for the device (http://www.keithley.com/products/dcac/s ... ownloads#3). NI-VISA, which I downloaded from the National Instruments website, is also installed.

The computer is running Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks!

Andrea C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Andrea C » July 1st, 2015, 3:07 pm

From your full description and troubleshooting steps, it sounds like the 6487 may have a malfunctioned GPIB interface.

A minimum test would be to invoke the KI-488 Configuration Utility (installed with the KUSB-488 software). This utility program will display a listing of all GPIB devices connected to the bus.
If this utility program can detect other instruments but not the 6487, then you have to conclude that the KUSB-488 is functional and there may well be a hardware malfunction in the GPIB interface of the 6487.

Any additional software layers (VISA, IVI driver) are dependent on a functional GPIB bus communication with the instrument. If the bottom most layer is not working, the higher layers also will not work.

Is the KUSB-488 connected directly to the 6487? Or are there multiple instruments on the bus and IEEE-488 cables are used?
If it is failing with a direct connection, then hardware malfunction is my suspicion.

The KI-488 Configuration Utility displays available GPIB devices on the bus:
KI-488_Config_Tool.PNG
KI-488_Config_Tool.PNG (32.73 KiB) Viewed 28253 times

thinkle

Post by thinkle » July 1st, 2015, 3:26 pm

The computer and 6487 are connected directly via a USB-to-GPIB (KUSB-488B).

thinkle

Post by thinkle » July 1st, 2015, 7:21 pm

I ended up getting this working by following the advice at this old forum post: http://forum.keithley.com/phpBB3/viewto ... =84&t=3504. The solution I followed is the last post in the thread.

Now, I'm happy that I got the device installed but I don't feel like I understand the software and drivers any better than I did before. I got the device working simply by installing a GPIB driver that has nothing to do with the 6487 itself, and in fact, the software drivers listed on the 6487 download page are not even sufficient to get the device running (in my case, at least). I'd be really happy to hear either an explanation for

1) why the software listed on the 6487 page didn't work for me,

or,

2) if the GPIB drivers are in fact necessary, why they are not mentioned or linked on the 6487 page.

Anyways, thanks for the help Andrea C.

Return to “PicoAmmeters”