Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Pulsed current measurements on 610C

2502, 6485, 6487 - Support
martintri

Pulsed current measurements on 610C

Post by martintri » April 5th, 2016, 3:56 pm

Hello,

I was hoping to use an old 610C to measure a pulsed current. The peak current will be on the order of microamps, but it will be only 5 us long and run at 1 kHz. From what I can gather from the manual I don't believe I can do it due to the long rise times (somewhere it was written 3 ms in "fast" mode for uA range). I actually measure something but I don't believe it is a correct average. My first question is, does it make sense to use this to measure such a pulsed and short signal? If not, can I use the current integration function to perform such a measurement? Thank you

PS I wasn't sure if this or the electrometer sub-forum was the appropriate place for this, I apologize if this is the wrong one.

brian.d.smith
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Pulsed current measurements on 610C

Post by brian.d.smith » April 7th, 2016, 4:54 am

A 5uS pulse with a 50% duty cycle would be a 100kHz signal. If you look at the specs for the 610C used as an amplifier, the frequency response is limited to 3kHz at any gain. At maximum gain, frequency response is only 100Hz.

I think that the 610C cannot be used as an amplifier at the speed you require. The 610C was designed as a DC or very low frequency AC instrument.

martintri

Re: Pulsed current measurements on 610C

Post by martintri » April 12th, 2016, 4:20 pm

Hi Brian,

I see, thank you. This is what I thought but I wasn't quite sure. Thanks for confirming.

cheers,
Martin

Return to “PicoAmmeters”