Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

220 output connector

200, 210, 220, 486/7, 60x, 61x, 64x Electrometers
409, 41x, 42x, 44x, 48x -
14x, 18x, 1801 Nanovoltmeters
15x, 18x Null Detectors/Microvoltmeters
guttagrynna

220 output connector

Post by guttagrynna » March 21st, 2012, 4:02 am

I have a couple of 220 instuments that I will be using for charging and discharging lithium-ion batteries with high current accuracy. I need advice on what kind of cable and connector to use for the output. The instruments have a triax connector on the rear panel. I want the output end of the connected cable to be two banana plugs that I connect to the battery. The recommended cable is a triax to three crocodile clip cable, and this doesn't seem like the right choice for my setup. I have tried connecting an ordinary BNC to double-banana cable, and that seems to work, but I would like to make a more informed decision. What are the options and recommendations for this situation?

Thanks
Last edited by guttagrynna on March 30th, 2012, 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Andrea C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: 220 output connector

Post by Andrea C » March 21st, 2012, 5:51 pm

The model 220 uses the older style triax that has only two lugs. While it might be possible to place a BNC onto this two lug triax, it is not recommended to do so.

Further, the 220 makes use of the center conductor and the inner shell of the triax. Forcing a BNC onto this will make connection to the center conductor and the outer shell.

The data sheet for the 220 lists accessory item 6167 which is a two lug triax to BNC adapter. It will route the inner shell of the triax to the BNC outer shell.

Here is information on the 6167:
pa153C(6147,7078,4804).pdf
PA-153 for 6167 accessory
(60.88 KiB) Downloaded 1181 times

KeepItSimpleStupid

Re: 220 output connector

Post by KeepItSimpleStupid » March 18th, 2013, 6:40 pm

I plan to convert my 220 to a 3-lug Triax. The adapter from Triax to BNC is essential. This adapter does not connect the guard when it does the conversion. The adapters are pricey. Trompeter makes the adapters as well and I was able to order them from Newark Electronics, but as a special order with a long lead time.

As stated, Triax comes in two and 3 lug. With the two lug Triax connector it's too easy to be tempted to use BNC connectors. The choice depends somewhat on how much money you have invested in the two lug cables and your plans for upgrades.

The correct conversion as stated is the 2-Lug Triax to BNC adapter (which drops the guard) and then to a BNC to Dual banana plug adapter. If it's more convenient, you can use a BNC to single banana after the adapter and use the existing Banana jacks on the instrument for low.

I think it's wise to just consider to internally change the 2 lug Triax to a 3 Lug Triax connector and the adapter accordingly. You just have to be careful when doing the conversions with cleanliness to preserve the ability to source low level currents.

Keithley's Triax cables are quite unique with the graphite internal coatings for low level measurements.

Return to “Older & Obsolete Instruments”