Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Dual 2182a to single 6221 Delta-mode

Jessen

Dual 2182a to single 6221 Delta-mode

Post by Jessen » February 15th, 2017, 3:27 am

Hi Keithley,

In our lab we measure the Hall effect in samples at low temperatures, sourcing a current using the 6221 current source, while simultaneously measuring the xx and xy voltage drop, Vxx and Vxy, using two 2181a nanovoltmeters. This setup is controlled by sending GPIB commands from a PC.

However, if we want to use the advanced built-in functions of the 6221, i.e. Delta mode, Pulsed-Delta mode, Differential Conductance, we can no longer simultaneously measure Vxx and Vxx.

How can we overcome this issues? One approach would be to manually program the Delta-mode from GPIB commands, i.e. something like

*Source positive current*
*Settle time*
*Single-shot measurement from 2182-Vxx*
*Single-shot measurement from 2182-Vxy*
*Source negative current*
*Settle time*
... and so on.

However, it is not obvious if the built-in functions are much faster, more accurate, or doing something else behind the scenes.
Please let me know if it is feasible to do a manual programmed Delta-mode.

Thanks!

brian.d.smith
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Dual 2182a to single 6221 Delta-mode

Post by brian.d.smith » February 15th, 2017, 10:58 am

The built in functions for the delta mode system are not more accurate than treating the 6221 and 2182A as separate instruments.

For qty 2 of the 2182A, you will not be able to use the built-in functions unless you create a way to switch the RS232 connection between the instruments. Even if you did, you would constantly be re-starting the delta mode function. I do not think that this would be practical.

My suggestion is that you talk to each of the three instruments sequentially in your script. I believe that this is the only way to use qty 1 6221 with qty 2 2182A.

Return to “Hall Measurements”