Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

KPCI-488LPA 64 bit LabView driver problems.

KUSB and KPCI DAQ Data Acquisition Products
cheeverbean

KPCI-488LPA 64 bit LabView driver problems.

Post by cheeverbean » June 30th, 2014, 10:32 am

Dear all,

I have recently installed a KPCI-488LPA GPIB card for use with a 6485 - and I'm having a problem with the drivers for the KPCI-488LPA in 64 bit LabView 2013. I successfully installed the "NI Command Compatible Drivers" (version 3.12) from your website and managed to communicate with the - using NI VISA Interactive Control.

However when I try to run the equivalent VISA functions in LabView 2013 (64-bit), LabView gives me an error that there is insufficient location information or the device isn't present in the system (Error -1073807343). But if I run the same exact VI in LabView 2013 (32-bit), the VI doesn't return an error and executes successfully.

Aren't the drivers I installed for the 488LPA suppose to include both 32 and 64 bit versions (at least according to the release notes)? If so, then why does it work in 32-bit LabView but not in 64-bit? Has anyone else encountered this problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks,
Jeff

Stuart M
Keithley
Keithley

Re: KPCI-488LPA 64 bit LabView driver problems.

Post by Stuart M » July 2nd, 2014, 9:43 am

In the 64-bit world it appears that the use of multiple VISAs at the same time is permitted.
64-bit NI-VISA appears to be acting differently than 32-bit and is looking only for NI GPIB devices.
One solution to this NI limitation is to install any other 64-bit VISA (e.g Agilent).
Once you do so open NI Max and under Software -> NI-VISA -> VISA Options tab there is a new
setting called "Conflict Manager". This setting permits using different VISAs for each Interface Type.
Use this setting to select a different 64-bit VISA for your GPIB0::INSTR.

cheeverbean

Post by cheeverbean » July 12th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Dear Stuart,

I tried installing Agilent's 64 bit VISA and while it appeared in NI Max, there was no option for selecting which VISA I wanted to use for GPIB0::INSTR. I also performed a fresh install of LabView and the KPCI-488LPA "NI Command Compatible Drivers" (version 3.12) and I'm having the same problems as before.

Could the problem possibly be that the KPCI-488LPA drivers/software are installing in the 32 bit directory for Windows (Program Files (x86)) and not the 64-bit directory (Program Files)? How would I be able to tell that the 64-bit driver installed correctly; i.e. where would it be located on the hard drive?

Thanks,
Jeff

Stuart M
Keithley
Keithley

Post by Stuart M » July 14th, 2014, 1:01 pm

The problem seems to be that the Agilent IO Suite installs it's own gpib driver.
If you uninstall and reinstall the Keithley KI-488 driver, the Keithley gpib-32.dll files will be reinstalled into the windows\system32 and windows\SysWOW64 directories after reboot.

Next, open NI Max and recheck the conflict manager.
If you see an entry for GPIB0::INSTR, then select it and choose Agilent VISA.
If no entry for GPIB0::INSTR appears, then change the Preferred VISA from National Instruments VISA to Agilent VISA and save your changes and exit.

Then, open LabVIEW64 and directly enter the VISA resource (e.g. GPIB0::16::INSTR) into your program for the required VISA resource name and it will communicate with your instrument
(note that the GPIB resource will not appear in the dropdown, but it will work).

The next time you open NI Max the conflict manager should now show the GPIB0::INSTR interface listing and the chosen VISA will be Agilent VISA.
(you can also change the primary VISA back to NI, too, if desired).

Return to “Keithley DAQ Data Aquisition Products”