Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

How to use python to acquire data from the Keithley 2182A

KUSB and KPCI DAQ Data Acquisition Products
Wisegirl

How to use python to acquire data from the Keithley 2182A

Post by Wisegirl » September 9th, 2020, 6:40 am

Hello,

I am using a Keithley 2182A to hopefully acquire some voltage data from a material. However, I am trying to get the device to connect to a PC to read and save the data. I figured the best way to do this would be to use python and pyVISA. I have installed python and pyVISA. The program recognizes that the Keithley is connected. However, when I try to perform a simple read command I get a couple of errors from the device. For example one of them was error -411. I've tried copying the programs that other people say work but I still get the same errors. Could this be a driver issue or have you guys encountered any similar issues? Thanks in advance for your help.

Andrea C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: How to use python to acquire data from the Keithley 2182A

Post by Andrea C » September 23rd, 2020, 9:24 am

Appendix B in the manual lists the errors. I do not see a -411, but there is a +411 related to an error from the Auto Cal (ACAL).
An error of this type would make me concerned about the health of the product.

What commands do you send to the 2182A and can you determine which one is causing the error?
Are you on GPIB or RS-232 (from pyVISA)?

Can you successfully send the "*IDN?" command and read back the response?

Return to “Keithley DAQ Data Aquisition Products”