Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

MSO7104A : File Transfer Screen -

DPO/MSO/MDO4000 Series, DPO/MSO/MDO/TDS/THS3000 Series, DPO/MSO/TDS/TPS2000 Series, TBS/TBA1000 Series
gautierd

MSO7104A : File Transfer Screen -

Post by gautierd » January 25th, 2019, 12:40 am

Hello,

I have a MSO7104A device that I control with LAN. I would like to transfer print screen from oscilloscope to my local computer by LAN connection.

I use the VISA api to read/write data by C/C++ (tekVisa). Until now, I have not been able to find relevent commands to perform the transfer. There is an interesting note "How To Save and Transfer a Screenshot from the 5 or 6 Series MSO" dedicated to the MSO 5 and 6. But I have the 7 I guess. Is there an equivalent note for my oscilloscope. Indeed, the SCPI commands are different and I was not able to use the same commands and to find the corresponding one in the MSO7104A documentation.

Is it possible to perform such a transfer and how ? Is there an existing piece of code ? I look for the way to read screen - by LAN.

Best regards.

David N
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Re: MSO7104A : File Transfer Screen -

Post by David N » January 25th, 2019, 8:25 am

In the "Remote Instrument Communications (Programming) Examples" section of the forum there is an example using PyVISA to save a hard copy to a PC. viewtopic.php?t=138614. There is also a C# example that uses USB at: viewtopic.php?t=139957.

gautierd

Post by gautierd » January 31st, 2019, 11:56 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I apologize to answer so late but i cannot work on the device full time and I tried yesterday.
I considered all the solutions that you gave me. I must develop the soft in C/C++ so I dit not try in python.
For the two examples, many commands proposed are not taken into account by MSO7104A. For example, the FILESystem:READFile is not understood. (oscilloscope displays 'undefined header') and HARDCopy:PORT FILE does not exist. It is the same problem with the second topic.
Finally, I tried the example in the documentation.
With no success, i tried :

/* IMAGE_TRANSFER - In this example we will query for the image
* data with ":DISPLAY:DATA?" to read the data and save the data
* to the file "image.dat" which you can then send to a printer.
*/
viSetAttribute(vi, VI_ATTR_TMO_VALUE, 30000);
printf("Transferring image to c:\\scope\\data\\screen.bmp\n");
img_size = IMG_SIZE;
viQueryf(vi, ":DISPLAY:DATA? BMP8bit, SCREEN, COLOR\n", "%#b\n",
&img_size, image_data);
printf("Read display data query (%d bytes).\n", img_size);
/* Write image data to file. */
fp = fopen ("c:\\scope\\data\\screen.bmp", "wb");
img_size = fwrite(image_data, sizeof(unsigned char), img_size, fp);
fclose (fp);
printf("Wrote image data (%d bytes) to file.\n", img_size);
viSetAttribute(vi, VI_ATTR_TMO_VALUE, 5000);
With that, I have a file with data but when i try to open it, data format seems to be not correct and viewer displays an error. Is there a trick ? Then oscilloscope displays a remote action (the print screen) and freezes. It is strange.
Thanks.

Best regards.

David N
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by David N » February 1st, 2019, 9:01 am

Since the scope has Windows on it, another method to get the screen image is to save it to the Windows drive and then access the drive remotely. Or set the scope up to access the drive on your PC or other network. Then save the waveform image to that drive location.

gautierd

Post by gautierd » February 3rd, 2019, 11:50 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
But I have a doubt. The oscilloscope is MSO7104A from Agilent InfiniiVision series. There is no window interface, excepted if I missed it. Therefore, I have not way to set a shared directory.
By the way, is a usb drive the only drive accepted by the MSO7104A ?

Best regards.

David N
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by David N » February 4th, 2019, 8:59 am

I thought you were inquiring about the Tektronix MSO7000 Series. Since your model is the Agilent MSO7104A you would be better posting this inquiry on Agilent's forum.

gautierd

Post by gautierd » February 8th, 2019, 4:50 am

Hi David,

I thank for your reply. Indeed, it is not a tektronix scope. I apologize. I was confused because the series name is the same than Tektronix (MSO).
Now, i should close the post but four you, should i mark it as solved or not ?

David N
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by David N » February 8th, 2019, 10:40 am

You can close the post or I can have the forum admin delete the post series, since it is related to a Agilent scope model and not Tektronix scopes.

Return to “Non- Windows Based Oscilloscopes”