Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Problem with AWG on AFG1062

Takino

Problem with AWG on AFG1062

Post by Takino » June 28th, 2018, 5:08 pm

I have a problem with a long arbitrary waveform on AFG1062. I tried to generate a long arbitrary waveform (>100k points) and have found that the quantization error of the waveform gets bigger for longer waveforms.

For example, if I make a waveform using "Equation Editor" on ArbExpress like:
range(0,1ms)
Sin(2*pi*(100000 + 10000*(t + 0.001))*(t + 0.001))
with 10kpts / 10MS/s,
the output waveform looks ok.

But if I make it longer like:
range(0,10ms)
Sin(2*pi*(100000 + 10000*(t + 0.001))*(t + 0.001))
with 100kpts / 10MS/s,
the output waveform becomes so poor (bigger quantization noise).

I generated a .tfw file on ArbExpress and copied it to AFG1062 using a USB memory. The waveform appears on the AFG screen after the call out is also quite different from what I expect to see.

A simple frequency sweep sine wave can be made using the sweep mode of AFG, but what I really need is a frequency sweep and amplitude modulated sine wave. So, I definitely need to use the AWG function.

I appreciate your help.
T.

David N
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Re: Problem with AWG on AFG1062

Post by David N » June 29th, 2018, 4:08 pm

For the larger record length waveform where you are experiencing quantization error, are you using a large enough record length on the scope to capture the waveform. You would need something like 1M points record length on the scope to faithfully capture the waveform.

As for the display on the AFG, the screen is limited in display resolution so it will not always represent the actual waveform being generated. When the output is captured on a scope display you have much more control on the display resolution and the waveform should look like the one created in ArbExpress.

Takino

Post by Takino » July 3rd, 2018, 12:57 pm

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.
I captured and checked short parts (say, for ~0.01ms) of the waveform using the trigger delay function. I do not think "the quantization error (voltage, not time)" is due to the scope I use. Even I captured the beginning part of the waveform, I saw that the quantization error changed with the waveform length.

Thanks,
T.

David N
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by David N » July 9th, 2018, 2:16 pm

Hi Takino,

I would suggest creating a support request so one of our application engineers can look further into your inquiry. With a support request, you can attach some screen images of the wave-forms you are seeing. You can submit the request at: https://www.tek.com/support

Takino

Post by Takino » July 10th, 2018, 4:27 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for your suggestion.
I will do so.

T.

Return to “AFG1000/2000/3000 series”