Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Problem with using TPP0500B for measuring Drain voltage waveform

s0311630727

Problem with using TPP0500B for measuring Drain voltage waveform

Post by s0311630727 » January 26th, 2018, 8:54 pm

Hi,

Thx for clicking this post.

My facing probelm:
I am using the passive probe TPP0500B for measuring the drain voltage of a power MOSFET, the voltage is expected to range from 2V (in MOSFET ON time) to 300V (in MOSFET OFF time).

Now I need to measure MOSFET ON time voltage accurately for estimating its conduction loss. I adjusted the vertical scale to 500mV/div but there is no signal in the oscilloscope screen.

Then I gradually adjusted the vertical scale to a smaller scale step-by-step, starting from 50V/div. It is discovered that 5V/div is the smallest scale for capturing the signal. Is it the limitation of the probe, for example, Dynamic range of the probe?? Can anyone answering this question?

Apart from that, any suggestion for me to measure this large range signal accurately?

Thx for watching it. :D

Andrea C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Problem with using TPP0500B for measuring Drain voltage waveform

Post by Andrea C » February 8th, 2018, 7:24 am

Which scope are you using with the probe? The scope will take into account the 10X attenuation of the probe.

It is not the probe so much, but the total span of voltages that can be displayed on the scope based upon the volts/div setting of the scope.
If your scope has 8 total divisions and you are set for 5V/div, then max of 40V.

Return to “Passive/Low Voltage”