Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

TCP0030 Degauss Failure

cbrybicki

TCP0030 Degauss Failure

Post by cbrybicki » August 5th, 2020, 11:17 am

I have a TCP0030 current probe I am trying to use with a MDO43 oscilloscope. When I plug the probe, I am prompted with a message saying that a probe degauss/autozero is needed. When I run the degauss/autozero procedure I get a "Degauss failure" message with the following suggestions:

Verify:
-the probe jaw is closed
-the probe is not connected to an energized source
-the probe's internal temperature is not too high

I have verified all of these steps but so far no luck. Is there anything else I can do to try to get this probe working again?

Dalebert

Re: TCP0030 Degauss Failure

Post by Dalebert » August 9th, 2021, 5:29 pm

The Hall device could be defective. Sounds like there is an offset that should have gone away when degaussed. Make sure the probe ferrite surfaces are clean and that when locked, the surface gap is minimal before degaussing. Its unlikely, but its possible the probe has been heavily magnetized, possibly by a large DC current surge or degaussing with a large DC current in the jaws. A degaussing coil could be used in that case. In a panic, you may be able to use the degauss feature with a DC current in the jaws to force the offset to zero. The amount of current and the polarity would be trial & error.

Return to “Current”