Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Open source software for the 2450?

vdjerek

Open source software for the 2450?

Post by vdjerek » February 3rd, 2017, 4:01 am

Hi!

I've found the following statement in a blog post (http://www.tek.com/blog/how-source-meas ... ry-and-oth), written by Bill Pelster, the Director of Quality for the Keithley product line of Tektronix, Inc.
Keithley has developed open source code scripts (they are similar to the Lua programming language) that can perform:

Cyclic Voltammetry
Linear Sweep Voltammetry
Open Circuit Potential
Potential Pulse and Square Wave Voltammetry
Current Pulse and Square Wave
Chronoamperometry (current versus time at a controlled potential)
Chronopotentiometry (voltage versus time at a controlled current)
If there are indeed some open source scripts for the 2450 (and I would trust the Director of Quality that there indeed are), could someone from Keithley please provide the public with a download link? I couldn't find anything similar at the user support/downloads section of the Keithley's website.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Vedran

Vince W
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Open source software for the 2450?

Post by Vince W » February 3rd, 2017, 7:57 am

Hello Vedran,

Let me explain the context of Bill's statement about "open source".

The scripts we provide with the 2450-EC "kit" are scripts which are loaded onto the instrument and execute on the instrument to perform various Electro-Chemistry tests much like a Potentiostat would.

Our 2450-EC, 2460-EC, and 2461-EC instruments have an on-board script environment called TSP (Test Script Processor). TSP was built upon a lua programming language base. Lua is free open-source software which is portable to many environments (https://www.lua.org/about.html). Keithley has used this environment on many of our instruments.

The Electrochemistry scripts that we provide for the instrument models mentioned above run only in the TSP environment of these instruments. If you have one of these instruments, and are interested in them, I will find out how you can an E-CHEM UPGRADE KIT.

Vince
A Greater Measure of Confidence

riander

Post by riander » February 6th, 2017, 4:20 am

I am also interested in these scripts, we have a 2450 which we purchased before the scripts were released.

Since they are supposed to be free and open source I suggest that someone links them here so that future users can find them more easily.

For the standard general purpose 2450 and 2460 models i found the following statement:
A Keithley Model 2450 or Model 2460 SourceMeter Source Measure Unit (SMU) Instrument can be used to perform cyclic voltammetry and other electrochemistry tests using Keithley's new 2450- ECHEM Electrochemical Test Suite. The 2450-ECHEM, a no-charge option, includes an open source test script to perform CV right on the instrument without the need for a PC."
Correct me if I am wrong, but for more specialized electrochemical tests there is also a special "2450-EC Electrochemistry Lab System" version of the SMU, which comes with additional PC software among other things.

Alan I
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Alan I » February 7th, 2017, 4:39 pm

Keithley apologizes for the confusion. Our use of “open source” in relation to our E-Chem scripts was a poor choice of words. As Vince W explained in a previous post, the E-Chem scripts only run in the TSP environment of the Models 2450, 2460 and 2461. The scripts are intended for the sole use of the purchaser and are not to be redistributed.

The Model 2450-ECHEM is obsolete and is no longer available. Our current potentiostat offerings include the Model 2450-EC, the Model 2460-EC and the recently introduced Model 2461-EC. These products include a SourceMeter instrument, a suite of E-Chem test scripts, a cable to connect the instrument to an electrochemical cell, user manuals plus other accessories. For users who already own a Model 2450, 2460 or 2461 SourceMeter instrument, and would like to add the potentiostat capability to it, we recently introduced an upgrade package, EC-UPGRADE, which includes the suite of E-Chem scripts, the cable and manuals.

When you purchase any of the “EC” products you are provided with the source code for the scripts to enable you to customize a particular test if desired. Additional information about these products can be found at the following link: http://www.tek.com/potentiostats.

Return to “Electrochemistry”