Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

How to send both a negative and positive voltage to two rods during electrodeposition

Homer_J

How to send both a negative and positive voltage to two rods during electrodeposition

Post by Homer_J » May 14th, 2020, 8:39 am

Hi guys.

I am using Keithley 2450 Sourcemeter. Due to the Covid-19 virus pandemic I am not able to ask for help, so I thought I'd ask on this forum. Doing an electrodeposition and need to send a positive voltage to one Nickel rod and a negative voltage to an another Nickel rod.

How do I do this? I am aware that the Sourcemeter should have this function, but since I cant get any results, I need to check if there is actually two voltages going to respective rods. On the display we only get one source voltage, either positive or negative.

Andrea C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: How to send both a negative and positive voltage to two rods during electrodeposition

Post by Andrea C » May 14th, 2020, 9:21 am

Not quite understanding. How many total rods do you have?

The 2450 is a single channel instrument. The voltage that the 2450 produces is between the HI with respect to the LO. You could connect it between two electrodes (anode and cathode) for example.

Homer_J

Re: How to send both a negative and positive voltage to two rods during electrodeposition

Post by Homer_J » May 14th, 2020, 11:22 am

I have two rods in the setup. Below I've inserted an image that might help.
Electrodeposition_setup.png
Electrodeposition_setup.png (34.11 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Basically I want to send a negative voltage or current to one rod that will work as a cathode and a positive voltage or current to the other rod that will work as an anode.

But if it is a single channel, then I would need two Keithley 2450 Sourcemeter to be able to do that?

Andrea C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Andrea C » May 21st, 2020, 4:15 am

I would think all you need is a voltage difference between the two electrodes. Like what a battery would impose if you connected it directly between the two electrodes.

The SourceMeter can substitute for the battery. It can source positive or negative voltages and measure the current that results, in your case, from the electrochemical action at the electrodes in your solution.

Return to “Electrochemistry”