Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Utility to read/write memory on Tektronix scopes

Questions in this forum area are community supported. Tektronix does not regularly monitor posts in this area.
strick

Re: Utility to read/write memory on Tektronix scopes

Post by strick » August 4th, 2021, 3:11 pm

I'm attaching the Tektool.C source code and the executable that run in 95/98/xp dos session. My guess it may be harder to get the code working with your current setup rather than get some old computer and get a pci or isa GPIB card. However, you may be really good at programming in C and it won't be a big deal.
I'll post some NVram images of my "D" scopes a little later.

However, don't mess with flashing the Firmware unless you know it's the proper version and it works perfectly. you can easily brick a CPU board (I did it!)...

Strick
Attachments
TekTool.zip
(23.08 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
tektool(1).c
(17.63 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

pmoyle111

Post by pmoyle111 » August 4th, 2021, 6:37 pm

I looked over the code in tektool.c; pretty straightforward and less than 1k lines. But it required ni488.h . That is the header for the low level routines where all the fun is. It looks like I have to get the ni code somewhere, but it will have to work over VCP. Now I haven't looked tat the stuff that ko4bb relies on so that's next. Maybe that will be where the real porting takes place, using the ni functions (like nibrd, niwbrd, ect.) as wrappers. I'll update when I look at those later this evening.

To explain the a little better, the ni488.h file contains the prototypes that the compiler needs to create interfaces to the an ni driver that gets installed as a .sys and probably a .dll that is a layer of glue. So, I would need these files. I saw answers from ni which showed running an install from one of their cd's. And that code would be hw specific, and possible contains multiple versions depending on what hw you are using. So, I will use the functions from the other code and hopefully it won't be like putting a chrysler engine in an edsel.

I'll let you know.
-pm

Tantratron

Post by Tantratron » August 5th, 2021, 12:22 am

pmoyle111 wrote:
August 4th, 2021, 6:37 pm
I looked over the code in tektool.c; pretty straightforward and less than 1k lines. But it required ni488.h . That is the header for the low level routines where all the fun is. It looks like I have to get the ni code somewhere, but it will have to work over VCP. Now I haven't looked tat the stuff that ko4bb relies on so that's next. Maybe that will be where the real porting takes place, using the ni functions (like nibrd, niwbrd, ect.) as wrappers. I'll update when I look at those later this evening.

To explain the a little better, the ni488.h file contains the prototypes that the compiler needs to create interfaces to the an ni driver that gets installed as a .sys and probably a .dll that is a layer of glue. So, I would need these files. I saw answers from ni which showed running an install from one of their cd's. And that code would be hw specific, and possible contains multiple versions depending on what hw you are using. So, I will use the functions from the other code and hopefully it won't be like putting a chrysler engine in an edsel.

I'll let you know.
-pm
Do you still plan to have compatible with the prologix GPIB/USB ?

By the way, I've done some use and beta testing last year with my Macintosh from this repo https://github.com/ragges/tektools except I prefer legacy NI-GPIB-USB interface which works fine with all my TDS 500-700. I kindly recommend you rather use tekfwtool instead of tektool, the latter is very slow to program whereas tekfwtool is super fast.

pmoyle111

Post by pmoyle111 » August 5th, 2021, 5:43 am

Using prologix/usb is my whole plan for doing anything....because that is what I have and works with win10 which is the os on the machine I am using as a Lab host. I'll look over the code at the link you sent. I didn't look at the tektool code from the point of view of if it efficient as far as doing unnecessary queries or what, only looked at the point of portability and that didn't look too bad. If for now I comment out the firmware part (as that is dangerous) that eliminates nearly half of it. But I'll see what your link has. I saw some code that was pure C++. I don't work with that. I had had to work with mixed mode C/C++ and I'm alright with that, but I am a hardware guy at the base but ended up getting into software when "real" software guys couldn't make hardware code work. So to that point I have mostly worked for chip/computers companies, the last 4 being ARM, Dell, IBM and AMD and now I'm at a smaller ARM SOC company that's a notch or 2 above a startup but they let me work in my home lab, so that's my whole motivation for this.

Bear in mind I don't want to make a major expedition out of this, at least at this time, as I have too much to do at the moment. Once I get one thing working, I may incrementally extend some functionality. I am hoping to retire from the corporate world soon and just do some freelance stuff here and there but still a few debts to pay down.

Cheer's

-pm

Tantratron

Post by Tantratron » August 5th, 2021, 6:07 am

Hello pm,

You might want to branch as well through my own github repo https://github.com/tantratron if you like, it is a mirror of what ragges did initially in Sweden where my company tantratron tested the Mac OS use. Some did use with Windows the Agilent GPIB-USB as reported in the READ.MD file.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think your problem will be prologix because when I started to repair TDS 500-700 then I initially contact prologix prior purchase. They were very pro, nice but alerted me on a first topic which I copy-paste their sentence NI MAX is not compatible with our controllers and will not recognize them.

This is why I shifted directly to legacy GPIB-USB from NI (National Instruments), the old blue model which is swiss knife wether Mac OS, Windows and legacy oscilloscope like the TDSxxx

Just my 2 cents, Albert

pmoyle111

Post by pmoyle111 » August 5th, 2021, 6:30 am

I should have looked at your link first before replying:

1) this still uses the ni488.h include and hence there driver code
2) It is a derivative of the tektool code and in fact it is included with the functions that call the ni code #if 0'd out (another (superior) way of block commenting for temp removal.

So, I just took a quick look at the GPIB Toolkit from John Miles, KE5FX that ko4BB relies upon and, aha, low and behold it too uses the ni hw i/f. But it contains the ni488.h header file, lib and .dll. So, the first thing I need to do is find the project file for that and get it building in VS19. Then I can create a new project from that and import the other code. Once that builds it should be easy port. The final step is debugging if something doesn't work. Windows can be painful there, I spent 5 yr writing windows drivers and win10 changed a lot of rules.

Albert,

You posted while I was updating above to my last post.

I am not sure if I need whatever capability is there. I have the prologix working for downloading scope trace data. So, I will try it and see. I'm sure there may be some things that wont work, but at the moment all I'm trying to do basically is read and write mem locations. I guess if there is a problem with that the prologix is pretty useless. Thanks for the warning. I don't want to go down a rat hole chasing a bug that is a hardware incompatibility. Lord know, I've been there too many times before.

-pm

strick

Post by strick » August 5th, 2021, 8:20 am

Guys,
One more solution may be to use the floppy disk method - see here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ ... dump-tool/

I tested it and it works, but I don't have a "D" series on hand right this second - I sold my last one a few weeks ago. If you want, I'll pulse CharlyD to get copies from his scope. Tantratron may even have a "D".

It might be possible to convert between the two, but I'm not too sure how well that would work.

I'll post my "D" NVrams this afternoon.

Strick

strick

Post by strick » August 5th, 2021, 11:31 am

I've attached two zips. The serial number is shown in both. the B033015 used the later CPU board and needed TEKFWTOOL to properly write. the other is from an older "D" scope and could be written with the nominal Tektool that I generally provide.

In each folder there are three files. the largest writes to both the DS1486 chip and the the DS1650/DS1250 chip. The next larger is the DS1650 image and the smallest is the DS1486 image.

I found that it is best to write to both directly with tektool (or tekfwtool) vice burning with an eprom burner. the DS1650 would verify, but the DS1486 has the first "D" memory locations devoted to the clock portion and would always fail. Also, one of the early "D" locations holds a code that matches the serial NVram on the ACQ board and every time I did a new DS1486 chip, the scope demanded a new calibration. Since I was planning to calibrate anyway, It was no big deal to me. Using the Tektool method, that memory location is properly restored and no cal is generally requested.

Strick
Attachments
TDS580D b021546 NVram.zip
(122 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
TDS754D_B033015.zip
(20.94 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

Tantratron

Post by Tantratron » August 6th, 2021, 2:45 am

What is the serial number of your TDS754D because depending if below B040000 or above then its acquisition board will not be the same then you're obliged to installed 7.x firmware as opposed to a 6.x firmware ?

The logic or processor board of C's or D's is exactly the same so you chose either 5.x firmware (C serie) whereas for D serie, you need to check acquisition board then install either 6.x or 7.x. This means same story to write correct NVRAM's otherwise you'll brick the scope.

pmoyle111

Post by pmoyle111 » August 6th, 2021, 8:40 am

The C is B011444
The D is B041295

The C doesn't look that old though

Return to “Other or Discontinued Oscilloscopes”