Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

TDS5054B does not start.

Questions in this forum area are community supported. Tektronix does not regularly monitor posts in this area.
numb1111

TDS5054B does not start.

Post by numb1111 » October 9th, 2021, 5:25 pm

Hi.

I bought a used TDS5054B about 6 months ago.
It has some quirks in the startup procedure, but once it started up, there were no problems with operation.
Both self-diagnosis and calibration were done without any problems.
The startup procedure is as follows.

Plug in the power outlet → power on by itself → bios starts and freezes at the screen with white background and the word "Tektronix" displayed → press and hold the power on button to force quit → press the power on button again → start up.

I've been booting it at intervals of a few months, but yesterday it started to fail to boot properly.
It behaves as follows.

Plug in the power outlet → power on by itself → bios starts and freezes at the screen with white background and the word "Tektronix" displayed → press and hold the power on button to force quit → press the power on button again → black screen remains (the lamp lights up)

I disassembled it and found that the CR2032 battery was dead, so I thought this was the cause and replaced it. It no longer powers on by itself, but remains a black screen when I press the power on button. The button light comes on and the CPU fan turns.
Also, when the screen is black, there is no output to the VGA.

What is the cause of this and how can I fix it?

strick

Re: TDS5054B does not start.

Post by strick » October 10th, 2021, 8:20 am

Numb,
The TDS5000B series generally uses an IBM motherboards (usually D845 or D865) as the main CPU with a PowerPC board in one of the slots that then connects directly to the ACQ board on the bottom. I think I've also seen a D875...

Power on problems are generally due to the CPU board or a boot up failure due to a failing hard drive.

It's very easy to simply remove the CPU board and simply boot it separately to troubleshoot. It has it's own AGP video port and you just hook it up to a vga monitor and boot with a hard drive. F1 or F2 will throw you into CMOS mode and you can change the video from the normal PCI (via the PowerPC board) to AGP.

You need to disassemble it (see the TDS5000 service manual from TEK) to remove the board. You can remove the power supply or use another one to get it running.

Take a look and see which board you have and I can load up the Intel manual for that board. I can also send you an Image file if your disk is corrupted and you don't have the restore disks.

Strick

numb1111

Post by numb1111 » October 11th, 2021, 7:49 am

Dear Strick.

Thank you for your quick and thoughtful reply.

As you suggested, I disassembled the TDS5054B today and confirmed that it works.
The motherboard is a D865. I checked the boot with only the power supply, motherboard, VGA monitor and keyboard, and confirmed that the bios does not boot.

When there is no CMOS battery (CR2032), only the bios boots.
When I install the HDD, it freezes at the Tektronix white background screen which is during the subsequent windows boot. (It didn't boot in safe mode either.) When I reboot after that, the screen remains black and will not boot.
When I boot into bios, I get a "CMOS Checksum Bad." error message, and pressing F4 brings me to the settings screen.

If I install a CMOS battery after clearing the CMOS, it will not boot and the screen will remain black.

I checked the HDD on another PC and found no bad sectors, so I believe there is no problem. (It used to boot before).

I think that the bios chip may be faulty, but the manual for the D865 does not mention it.

I guess I'll have to buy a motherboard that works properly.

strick

Post by strick » October 11th, 2021, 8:39 am

Why don't you try to find the Bios - and load it? If it has a checksum error, that might fix it.

If you have to find another motherboard, I have the 865 and 845 drivers. I found that the 865 drivers allowed the D875 board that I got to work.

If you try to use something that TEK never used, the PowerPC board may not work properly - then you have a real problem.

strick

numb1111

Post by numb1111 » October 16th, 2021, 4:53 am

Thanks for the reply and advice.

I received a used and working D865GBF today. When I booted the TDS5054B HDD using it, it still froze with the Tektronix screen on a white background.

Does this mean that the data on the HDD is corrupted?
If so, can you send me the image file?

>>Why don't you try to find the Bios - and load it? If it has a checksum error, that might fix it.

I do not have a FDD to recover the bios. I bought it from an - store and plan to test it tomorrow.

strick

Post by strick » October 16th, 2021, 11:56 am

Numb,
can you send me a PM with your regular email?

thanks,
Strick

Return to “Other or Discontinued Oscilloscopes”