Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

TDS5054B Question

Questions in this forum area are community supported. Tektronix does not regularly monitor posts in this area.
Deltatango

TDS5054B Question

Post by Deltatango » November 30th, 2020, 11:05 am

I am thinking of restoring a used TDS5054B for my use, gather it runs under Win2000 OS "if" this has become damaged has it got any recovery discs etc or will "any" period 2000 disc work.

I have not got it yet just learning about it before hand, before I move to say faster cpu or hard drive if possible to refresh it.

Many Thanks :?:

strick

Re: TDS5054B Question

Post by strick » November 30th, 2020, 11:38 am

Deltatango,
Interesting that you should ask that question. I used to think that you had to have the original restore disks for each different CPU and mod that TEK did, until CharlyD pointed me to a 5000 site (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/te ... -fresh-os/) that then pointed to another site on the TEK board here (viewtopic.php?f=568&t=132324&p=283381&h ... pe#p283381) that suddenly made it possible to restore without these original images.

In short, I have a couple of TDS5000 and 5000B machines and I just converted my 5054B to winxp from win2000. Not that 2000 is actually that bad, but no antivirus seems to want to run on it, whereas folks seem to be willing to support XP for at least a while.

I'm going to replicate the task and take lots more notes and post the procedure on this board and in the eevblog forum. Please give me a few days.

In short, I installed a full XP pro to the computer, then copied the TEK folder that I had saved from the win2000, modified the OEMINFO.sys file in the sysstem32 folder and ran the TEK install program for the 5000B still available from TEK. I then had to manually install the various drivers using the device manager, but they all finally cleared and the machine boots correctly. I did find that it would throw an unrecoverable error when Tekscope started up with the Lan cable plugged in, but still booted Tekscope just fine. Just a little strange.

As far as CPUs, I generally found TEK had originally installed 2.0 GHz Celeron chips and not much ram. Also, the thermal grease was totally solid, affecting heat transfer and causing thermal shutdowns. My boards could take a 2.8Ghz Pentium 4, so I got a couple from greedbay and 2 gb of ram. Along with a small SSD vice a standard hard drive, it boots reasonably quickly (67 seconds) and runs fine.

Strick

Deltatango

Post by Deltatango » November 30th, 2020, 1:35 pm

Thank you thats a great start, my thoughts are to give it a clean up, check for any caps which look poorly mainly in its power supply area, upgrade cpu and memory, in general (I hope) do things that will improve without causing a major issue.

Maybe consider switching to XP from 2000 though having defended my old XP for many years, from 2015 most antivirus "stopped" that which carried on being updated was previously installed, though I found this got poor, either sections of its cover became inactive or poor old XP got dragged down through lack of resources to run system and antivirus (just letting me in at odd times). Still it may be an idea later, as 2000 is XP's "father" but with DOS bolted on.
Maybe nostalgic but I think XP will not fully die out, it covers such a wide range of software that it can run plus machinery.

Those links are great for my education good to find out things first I think, thanks again

David

strick

Post by strick » December 7th, 2020, 10:34 am

Deltatango,
Below is my tutorial on how to put XP on a TDS5000B scope. I may try later to put Win2000 on a straight TDS5000 scope, but I'm concerned that the much slower processor (800 Mhz vice 2.8 Ghz) might actually make the boot time longer and have other issues.

Install WinXP - when entering names in 5 names – reboot for regular screen

Select display properties and under adapter select list all modes and choose 640 x 480
Left click start and properties and select classic menu to get my computer and my documents on screen

Copy (from an existing Win2000 WinNT folder on your scope) or create a OEMINFO.ini file put it under windows/system32 . the file need to say Manufacturer=Tektronix, Inc and model=TDS5000B Series Oscilloscope

Copy the Tektronix Folder from your WIN2000 installation or send me a PM to use the one I have – It for an Intel D865GLC motherboard. I once had a scope (but sold it) with an older D845GVAD2 Motherboard, but the drivers will probably work. I do have the regular Win2000 install disks if you have that board and you can install and get the Tektronix folder from it.

Go into the Tektronix/NI4882 Version 2.1 folder and run the ni488221 executable. When it runs it gives you three choices – select install and follow prompts to install. Select the pci gpib when prompted to install and reboot. The windows will find the new hardware and do the standard install. A NI-488.2 troubleshooting Wizard will have popped up on reboot. Wait until after the windows install to run it or it will fail. If you do, just do a retest after Windows install.

Create a directory winnt/system32/drivers and run the batch file copysys.bat in the Tektronix Custom Drivers folder in the Tektronix folder. Then copy these files from that folder to the Windows/system/drivers folder.

Go to the Audio ADI 1985 folder in the Tektronix folder and run the Setup executable. This will install the soundmax drivers. If it asks to reboot, do it.
Go to the INF_Intel 82801EB 1CH5 and run the infinst_enu executable.

Go to the Intel Lan folder inside the Tektronix Folder and run the PRO_v8.0… executable. This will place the files into the Program Files\Intel Desktop Board by default, but you can put them anywhere, just remember where.

Go to the NI-Device V1.4 Folder and run the setup execuable.

Get to the Device Manager (Right click on My Computer and select properties, Hardware, Device Manager). Note the Other Devices that are not identified and don’t have drivers. Select the PCI device. Update the driver and select the option to include a specific location. - the Tektronix/Tektronix Custom Drivers folder and OK. It should install the PCI board (PowerPC).

In the Device manager select the USB Device and reinstall driver – select the location Front Panel V1.0 in the Tektronix folder.
In the Device Manager, select the Ethernet Controller and reinstall Driver pointing to the Program Files/Intel Desktop Board/Pro100/WSO3XP32 folder.

In the Device Manager, select the Video Controller (VGA Compatible) and reinstall driver, pointing to the Chips and Tech display V2.50G. It may complain that it’s not passed windows Logo testing. Continue Anyway.

In the Device Manager, select Video Controller to update – select the Intel Video 6.13.10../Win2000 folder. Not sure it really installs from here, but it finds the right driver. It may ask to restart and you can.

If your screen comes on and then goes black, do a hard shutdown (hold the power key down) and restart and hit the F1 Key to get into the Bios Setup. Go to Advanced and ensure that the PCI video is default.

I installed the video drivers backwards (e.g. the Intel driver first) and it enabled the normal AGP video and made that monitor the default. Thus, the normal screen went black soon after the WinXP software started and I had to plug in a VGA monitor into the CPU Video Port to correct it (enable the second monitor (the Tek) and set it to default). So, it’s best to have a VGA capable monitor and cable ready.

Go to the Touch Screen Calibration folder in the Tektronix folder and run setup. Select the default until you get to the part that gives you 4 options. Select the USB option and install the touch driver.

You can now install the Tekscope Firmware (V2.0.11) and it will install the Tek program. After installing it may give a fatal error and just reboot. It should then come on normally except that it will indicate you are running in a limited mode.

Go to the Program Files\Tektronix\TekScope\System folder and rename scope.exe to scopebak.exe and rename Bscope.exe to scope.exe and reboot the scope.

Now the TEK program should load normally but will complain about using default values until SPC is run. Wait the 20 minutes and run Calibration.

At this point you should have a working scope with XP and all devices installed. If you have another motherboard but can find the drivers for it, I suspect that the GPIB and PowerPC drivers that I have will work fine and you should be able to get the job done. If you have the Intel 845 board, my restore OS may work for you and you can copy the Tektronix folder once installed.

good luck,
Strick

uccoskun1

Post by uccoskun1 » August 22nd, 2021, 8:29 am

Hello Strick:

I decided to upgrade my oscilloscope with a new motherboard (i3 Dell motherboard, a bad choice for this project), a power supply, and a new hard drive. I even modified the housing to mount the new motherboard.

I follow your instructions (very well written) easily until I stuck at a level. I'm writing to see if you have any idea how to solve it.

I use an external screen to install Windows XP. I never got the internal screen to display any message at all. When I install "Chips and Tech display V2.50G" driver, it asks to reboot the computer and everything goes dark after that. I cannot see anything on any screen, even the boot options. I installed everything many times. At some point, the oscilloscope screen showed a message that says the dual monitor option is on. At another time, the XP though there are three monitors.

I still have the original hard drive and the motherboard, but not the power supply. When I restore the oscilloscope with the new power supply, it hangs at the Tektronix welcome window after it showed a message the windows was loading.

Do you have any suggestions to try?

Thank you,
Ulas

strick

Post by strick » August 23rd, 2021, 6:38 am

Sure. Always do a restore of these 5000 scopes with an external monitor hooked to the CPU board (not the dupe of the main LCD screen). you do this in the bios by hitting F2 as soon as the scope turns on and then selecting display and AGP in the bios. Once everything in the OS is installed, then switch over to PCI as the display in bios and install the Tektronix firmware executable (you can download it from Tek).

Strick

uccoskun1

Post by uccoskun1 » November 30th, 2021, 9:15 pm

Hello Strick:

After 6 months, I made my oscilloscope work. IT has new power supply, new SSD new mother board (Intel DQ77MK Motherboard). It is fast and working. Initially i did not work but after repeat software installation, I guess it gave up.

Thank you for your instructions.

strick

Post by strick » December 1st, 2021, 6:21 am

Sure. Glad to help!

Strick

Return to “Other or Discontinued Oscilloscopes”