Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Tek 2212 calibration mode

Questions in this forum area are community supported. Tektronix does not regularly monitor posts in this area.
crg206

Tek 2212 calibration mode

Post by crg206 » May 8th, 2017, 2:14 pm

Gentlemen, this is my first forum submission. I am retired after 35 years servicing x-ray equipment. Along the way I collected a few O'scopes. Tek 434, 464, 2212, 2230, and a few Hitachi's. All scopes are used at the hobby level.
I have an issue with the 2212. The trace DC balance needs adjusting. When the V/Div selector is changed, the grounded trace drops 2/10th , then 3/10th, then 4/10th divisions.
Other scopes have a balance adjust pot somewhere. The balance adjustment on the 2212 is done via a calibration menu on the CRT.
Problem: I cannot bring up the calibration menu.
In the service manual, under Vertical Adjustments/Adjust Balance, instructions read " place cal jumper in cal position, wait for calibration menu on CRT screen." "select Balance to GO"
What I do.
1: Scope power on, normal trace and readouts, move cal jumper, "calibration enabled" flashes, then ....nothing, normal trace and readouts. Wait forever...no change.
2: Scope power off, move cal jumper, scope power on, crosshatch pattern on CRT. Wait, no change. Rotate V/Div one click, crosshatch replaced by normal trace and readouts, "calibration enabled" flashes, then ....nothing, normal trace and readouts. Wait forever...no change.
I am requesting your thoughts and comments. Thanks for your efforts.
Attachments
crosshatch.jpg
crosshatch pattern
crosshatch.jpg (71.12 KiB) Viewed 8569 times
calenabled.jpg
calibration enabled flashes
calenabled.jpg (46.36 KiB) Viewed 8569 times

gonzalem

Re: Tek 2212 calibration mode

Post by gonzalem » February 24th, 2018, 9:55 am

Hello crg206,

I came here with your very same question after facing the same problem; well, I just wanted to calibrate the display, I just got this scope second hand.

I read most of the service manual, googled a lot, and still, I could not figure it out. So I decided to put the calibration on hold (it was actually not that bad, the worst problem was a slightly tilted trace that I could fix manually rotating the pot on the back using the lattice you posted) and decided to play with the ports.

But, somehow I could not put it to rest (defeated by the machine I suppose...) I started pressing buttons by pairs and some funny things started to happen (for instance the Z and SLOPE buttons on the TRIGGER menu change the coupling on channel 1) and then I realized that when you click the RECALL and HOLD buttons on the STORAGE controls at the same time you get a message on the screen "Hardcopy started on parallel port". And if you look at the interface it makes sense: there is a PRNSCR (print screen) text right below these two buttons.

Then I got the breakthrough; if you look a bit more to the right you have a text that says MENU under the SAVE and RECALL buttons on the SETUP menu. I pushed them both at the same time (with the jumper in CAL mode, of course) and I got the calibration screen.

You can see the image below; after you get the screen the rest is pretty obvious.

I was beginning to think there was no way to get to this calibration menu. Once you know it, it seems obvious, I guess that's what they thought when they wrote the manual.

Anyway, it's worthwhile removing the case just to see how premium quality everything is, they don't products like these anymore.

I hope this is useful for your purposes, and if you already figure it out yourself it might be useful for others.

Cheers,

Marcos
Attachments
tek2212_cal_screen1.jpg
tek2212_cal_screen1.jpg (573.16 KiB) Viewed 5831 times

cpertchik

Seeks complete Tek-2212 svc. manual with cal info etc.

Post by cpertchik » June 3rd, 2018, 5:41 pm

Looking for a complete Tek-2212 service manual with schematics, calibration instructions etc. Plenty of downloads are available but none of them are complete. Much thanks in advance for any hints or clues.

Return to “Other or Discontinued Oscilloscopes”