Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

TDS510A CRT failed

Questions in this forum area are community supported. Tektronix does not regularly monitor posts in this area.
cedric

TDS510A CRT failed

Post by cedric » December 17th, 2018, 11:17 pm

Hello,

The CRT of my TDS510A failed this week. The flyback transformer has failed. The reference is 120-1841-00 from Wintron inc or Penn Tran corp.
Impossible to find spare part for this transformer on the web.
Is there somebody that have the specification sheet for this HV transformer describing number of turns, diameters...?

Thanks a lot!

Regards.

strick

Re: TDS510A CRT failed

Post by strick » December 18th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Cedric,
My research indicates that this is a similar board to the rest of the TDS500/600/700 monochrome boards.

I've about 6 of these boards that have failed. Each failed in the flyback according to the Blue Ring Tester. Otherwise, there's only a few components that would ever give you a problem.

The flyback is the one thing I can't fix. Maybe you can. it has a diode in the HV (~13-15KV) part of the flyback inside to get the voltage to stabilize prior to reaching the HV cable to the crt. I'll be happy to send you some to dissect and perhaps manufacture a new one from. I decided that dissecting it would be a real pain...

Otherwise, send me a PM and I'll arrange to send you a fully working board, if you just pay the shipping. I've 3 on the shelf..

:) Strick

cedric

Post by cedric » December 26th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Hi Strick,

Thanks for your search and answer.
It's seems that the flyback transformer is the weakness of the TDS series.
I wonder why Tektronic does not give the specification of these transformers since they are no longer produced...

Are you sure that there is only a diode on the HV side ? because normally on TV set there is a voltage tripler....
I began to dismount the transformer and I've count the winding number...not very easy.
Now I try to remove the resin to find this diode....not sure sure I will succeed to find the reference of this diode if there is only one... maybe there are also capacitors?...
What would be the cost for a fully working board ?

Thanks!

Regards.

strick

Post by strick » December 26th, 2018, 12:25 pm

Cedric,
What I meant was that in addition to the windings on the secondary, there is an internal diode, making the substitution or winding particularly difficult. These things put out about 14KV. The input is on the order of 400V (as I recall). The schematic is available, but, like I said, probably not worth the time and trouble to rebuild. See my last line in the previous email about a replacement board...

Strick

cedric

Post by cedric » December 26th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Strick,

I'am new to this forum and when I try to compose PM this appears:

"We are sorry, but you are not authorized to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more in discussions to be able to use this feature"

What's going wrong?

Thanks.

Return to “Other or Discontinued Oscilloscopes”