Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Old equipment question

Questions in this forum area are community supported. Tektronix does not regularly monitor posts in this area.
toddopong

Old equipment question

Post by toddopong » June 10th, 2020, 4:31 pm

Hi Guys,

First time poster here. I dont know anything about these items, but I was going through my shop that I bought (from deceased father in law), and I foudn a Tektronix 577 D1 Curve Tracer. I plugged it in to see if it works, and there are lights that turn on, good start I was thinking. One of the lights displayed is the collector supply disabled. What does this mean, and can I/do I need to get this to turn off?

It is attached to a 177 standard test fixture with a FET adaptor. I wanted to make sure this thing worked and try and get it to someone who may appreciate it, rather than have it sit in a shop any longer.

I dont want to test it, as I will likely just fry the machine and don't want to risk ruining anything :lol:

I saw it on Ebay for decent money, so I am thinking of going that route.

What is this thing all about? hard to find any info on the internet on this thing.

w2aew
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Re: Old equipment question

Post by w2aew » June 10th, 2020, 6:25 pm

A curve tracer is a relatively specialized piece of gear that is designed to characterize the DC parameters/properties of devices such as diodes and transistors. While they're not made by any major manufacturers anymore, they are fairly highly sought after by both collectors as well as certain companies. It would be best not to turn it on if it has been sitting for years because there are things that can age and then not power-up well. (The collector supply disabled light indicates that the collector supply is set to a range that could be dangerous and it is disabled because the safety shield is not in place).

If you are interested in learning more about what a curve trace is, and what it does, you can have a look at my video on the topic. In the video I am showing the 576 Curve Tracer, which is the big brother to the 577.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-y8UmoHbtw

You can certainly try going the eBay route, although keep in mind that safely packing and shipping the unit will be difficult. There is also a pretty active couple of Facebook groups that have members that would be highly interested. Check out these two groups:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Vintage ... tEquipment
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oldtekscopes

Nice find, and I hope it finds a home with someone that will appreciate it.

Return to “Other or Discontinued Oscilloscopes”