Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

547 Repair Puzzle - how to find where parts are located?

Questions in this forum area are community supported. Tektronix does not regularly monitor posts in this area.
wa4gvm

547 Repair Puzzle - how to find where parts are located?

Post by wa4gvm » September 12th, 2020, 2:47 pm

I am trying to repair a good old 547. I have the manuals and schematics, but the problem is I cant figure out how to identify where the heck the parts are located on the ceramic strips. How to I find which resistor is R137 for example. I know the general area, but I can find anything in any manual that shows parts locations.

Does anyone know how to figure out which part is which? Tracing from the tube sockets or transistor sockets is hard because the wiring is underneath the parts on the strips. Don't see a solution.
Thanks,
Grayson, KJ7UM

HiVoltage

Re: 547 Repair Puzzle - how to find where parts are located?

Post by HiVoltage » September 19th, 2020, 7:17 pm

Last Winter I replaced all of the resistors and electrolytic capacitors in my Tektronix 310 oscilloscope from 1958. I also replaced a few ceramic caps because I was able to easily tighten the tolerances and match them better with newer made parts.

Even though the schematics looked simple, sometimes there were three jumpers coming off of one part and going to three other locations within the scope. So what helped the most was the wires had color-coded stripes and they were noted on the schematics.

Also, all of the corresponding capacitor and resistor numbers were printed on the chassis between the ceramic strips.

I highly recommend that you use Kester 62/36/2 leaded silver solder at a minimum and keep the heat-cycle sort.

The project was a lot of fun and a great learning experience.

Good luck!

C102.jpg
C102.jpg (408.99 KiB) Viewed 22 times
C250A.jpg
C250A.jpg (179.6 KiB) Viewed 22 times
Clipped.jpg
Clipped.jpg (170.32 KiB) Viewed 22 times

Return to “Other or Discontinued Oscilloscopes”