Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

2215A Scope and Function Generator

Questions in this forum area are community supported. Tektronix does not regularly monitor or guarantee responses in this area.
Post Reply
LGLDSR73
Posts: 8
Joined: May 13th, 2012, 8:53 pm

2215A Scope and Function Generator

Post by LGLDSR73 » May 17th, 2012, 4:40 am

Greetings,

At the onset let me say that although I have 30 years of experience in Information Technology I am new to electronics. I know...extremely little at this point and even that may be giving myself too much credit. Having said that I am clearly on a beginners learning curve.

I recently purchased a Tektronix 2215A Scope and a refurbished BK-3011B Function Generator. Unfortunately I was wholly unaware that the BK-3011B was manufactured in 1991 and I paid $115 for it. In looking around last evening I came across a new Mastech SFG-1002 2 MHz Function Generator / Frequency Counter SFG-1002 for $109.00. I have no clue as to which is better or if for that matter the Mastech SFG-1002 Is 101% compatible with my scope. Would there be any limitations in using it with the 2215A?

I could use some serious guidance here and any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Lyman

Chris B
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications
Posts: 657
Joined: December 17th, 2010, 3:17 pm

Re: 2215A Scope and Function Generator

Post by Chris B » May 17th, 2012, 7:50 am

I think either of these generators will work with your scope, per say. Now, most generators are designed to drive a 50 ohm load. If you are running directly into your scope, I believe it only as 1M termination? So, you would want to use a 50 ohm feed through terminator on the input of the scope, so that the amplitude you see on the scope matches what you set on the generator.

LGLDSR73
Posts: 8
Joined: May 13th, 2012, 8:53 pm

Re: 2215A Scope and Function Generator

Post by LGLDSR73 » May 17th, 2012, 8:56 am

cball wrote:I think either of these generators will work with your scope, per say. Now, most generators are designed to drive a 50 ohm load. If you are running directly into your scope, I believe it only as 1M termination? So, you would want to use a 50 ohm feed through terminator on the input of the scope, so that the amplitude you see on the scope matches what you set on the generator.
Thank you very much for replying. You are correct re the 1M termination. I did purchase a Philmore BNC Terminator, 50 Ohm, No. 971L (LKG Industries) as found http://www.google.com/products/catalog ... IBEPMCMAY

Since I had no probes I also purchased a pair of Philmore LAN Cable for Ethernet, RG58A/U, NO.70.5800 as found here http://www.fullcompass.com/product/383885.html.

Will this Terminator and these cables suffice for connecting from the Generator to the Scope? I take it that the Generator will connect to the Ext Input on the Scope?

On a side note, I notice there are two different values for reading AC: [Page 1-3 of the 2215A manual) "Ext Input 400V (dc + peak ac) or 800V ac p-p at 10kHz or less"....and then on another page (1-5 of the Manual for the 2215A) it says "Maximum safe input voltage, 30V (dc + peak ac) or 30V p-p ac at 1kHz or less. So is the 2215A capable or reading 120VAC?

Again, thank you very much. Any 'beginners' books on using a scope, signal generator, etc., that come to mind are welcome

Chris B
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications
Posts: 657
Joined: December 17th, 2010, 3:17 pm

Re: 2215A Scope and Function Generator

Post by Chris B » May 17th, 2012, 1:23 pm

The XYZ's of Oscilloscopes and XYZ's of Signal Generators are both good references to start with:
You can find those and several others here: http://www.tek.com/search/apachesolr_search/XYZ

LGLDSR73
Posts: 8
Joined: May 13th, 2012, 8:53 pm

Re: 2215A Scope and Function Generator

Post by LGLDSR73 » May 17th, 2012, 1:43 pm

cball wrote:The XYZ's of Oscilloscopes and XYZ's of Signal Generators are both good references to start with:
You can find those and several others here: http://www.tek.com/search/apachesolr_search/XYZ
Excellent! Thank you!

Best,

Lyman

LGLDSR73
Posts: 8
Joined: May 13th, 2012, 8:53 pm

Re: 2215A Scope and Function Generator

Post by LGLDSR73 » May 18th, 2012, 6:49 am

LGLDSR73 wrote:
cball wrote:I think either of these generators will work with your scope, per say. Now, most generators are designed to drive a 50 ohm load. If you are running directly into your scope, I believe it only as 1M termination? So, you would want to use a 50 ohm feed through terminator on the input of the scope, so that the amplitude you see on the scope matches what you set on the generator.
Thank you very much for replying. You are correct re the 1M termination. I did purchase a Philmore BNC Terminator, 50 Ohm, No. 971L (LKG Industries) as found http://www.google.com/products/catalog ... IBEPMCMAY

Since I had no probes I also purchased a pair of Philmore LAN Cable for Ethernet, RG58A/U, NO.70.5800 as found here http://www.fullcompass.com/product/383885.html.

Will this Terminator and these cables suffice for connecting from the Generator to the Scope? I take it that the Generator will connect to the Ext Input on the Scope?

On a side note, I notice there are two different values for reading AC: [Page 1-3 of the 2215A manual) "Ext Input 400V (dc + peak ac) or 800V ac p-p at 10kHz or less"....and then on another page (1-5 of the Manual for the 2215A) it says "Maximum safe input voltage, 30V (dc + peak ac) or 30V p-p ac at 1kHz or less. So is the 2215A capable or reading 120VAC?

Again, thank you very much. Any 'beginners' books on using a scope, signal generator, etc., that come to mind are welcome
Can someone please help with these questions? Thank you!

Chris B
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications
Posts: 657
Joined: December 17th, 2010, 3:17 pm

Re: 2215A Scope and Function Generator

Post by Chris B » May 18th, 2012, 8:28 am

LGLDSR73 wrote:
LGLDSR73 wrote: On a side note, I notice there are two different values for reading AC: [Page 1-3 of the 2215A manual) "Ext Input 400V (dc + peak ac) or 800V ac p-p at 10kHz or less"....and then on another page (1-5 of the Manual for the 2215A) it says "Maximum safe input voltage, 30V (dc + peak ac) or 30V p-p ac at 1kHz or less. So is the 2215A capable or reading 120VAC?

Again, thank you very much. Any 'beginners' books on using a scope, signal generator, etc., that come to mind are welcome
Can someone please help with these questions? Thank you!
The spec on 1-5 is for the Z-Input jack, which is on the rear of the unit by the power plug. You can measure 120V AC with the CH1 and CH2 inputs.

LGLDSR73
Posts: 8
Joined: May 13th, 2012, 8:53 pm

Re: 2215A Scope and Function Generator

Post by LGLDSR73 » May 20th, 2012, 12:04 pm

cball wrote:
LGLDSR73 wrote:
LGLDSR73 wrote: On a side note, I notice there are two different values for reading AC: [Page 1-3 of the 2215A manual) "Ext Input 400V (dc + peak ac) or 800V ac p-p at 10kHz or less"....and then on another page (1-5 of the Manual for the 2215A) it says "Maximum safe input voltage, 30V (dc + peak ac) or 30V p-p ac at 1kHz or less. So is the 2215A capable or reading 120VAC?

Again, thank you very much. Any 'beginners' books on using a scope, signal generator, etc., that come to mind are welcome
Can someone please help with these questions? Thank you!
The spec on 1-5 is for the Z-Input jack, which is on the rear of the unit by the power plug. You can measure 120V AC with the CH1 and CH2 inputs.
Excellent, thank you very much! Greatly appreciated.

Dean Huster
Posts: 34
Joined: March 31st, 2014, 1:53 pm

Re: 2215A Scope and Function Generator

Post by Dean Huster » April 4th, 2014, 8:27 pm

WARNING!!! Be very careful trying to use your scope to measure the voltage on the AC mains. This is a scope, not a handheld DMM. The scope's chassis and the ground lead of the scope probe is connected to earth ground. If you decide to connect the probe ground to the hot side of the mains, at minimum, you'll wreck the probe and/or ground lead and/or trip a circuit breaker and/or wreck the scope. Keep a scope away from an electrical outlet other than for plugging its power cord in. If you want to see the waveform of the power line, get a step-down power transformer and take a look at the secondary. With this floating, isolated secondary, you won't have to worry about where you connect the ground lead.

the 50-ohm termination isn't necessary for use with the function generator unless it goes to very high frequencies. Most FGs are limited to around 2MHz and only if you experience roll-off of a square wave would the lack of a termination be a worry. The termination will halve the output voltage of the function generator. Most inexpensive FGs have no provision for reading the value of the output voltage.

Since oscilloscopes and signal sources are two different animals, compatibility is not problem. Your generator and your scope will like each other just fine. The B+K 3011B is probably a better generator than the one you saw new which is like from China. The 3011B is likely not. Although B+K is usually considered of a lower quality than Tektronix, they do have some decent things as long as you stay away from their scopes. At ±0.5%, their little 830 digital capacitance meter is actually a lot more accurate and usually less expensive than anything new and of service grade that you can find. The only way to get better than that is to find some lab-grade stuff. Their major markets was to TV shops and schools, and school environments were not good for their products, believe me. I have over 20 years as an electronics instructor, and Tektronix products run circles around B+K in the school arena.

You have four inputs on your 2215A: Ch 1, Ch 2 vertical inputs; EXTernal trigger input; Z-axis input. Ch 1 and Ch 2 should be obvious as to their use. You can use either a probe or connect directly through a BNC cable. The EXTernal trigger input is for using a trigger signal from an external source vs. an internal source (CH 1, CH 2, or COMP). For instance, with that 3011B, you can connect the TTL output to the scope's EXTernal trigger input, set the trigger source for EXTernal and then use the function output of the 3011B to connect to the input of an audio amplifier. Then you can use a probe on the Ch 1 input to probe around in the amplifier signal path and not have to worry about having a signal too small or too noisy to provide a reliable trigger. You can also get a pretty good indication of changing phase.

The newer XYZs of Scopes are pretty lousy for you since they dwell mostly on DSOs. You need to find a first, or better yet, a second edition of that booklet. The original XYZs used a T932/935 as the example demo scope; the second edition used the 2213/2215 in the same role, perfect for you. I don't know where you can find the older copies, though. I have some of the older ones, but they're in deep storage at a different location, daring me to find what box they may be in. Type the title into Google and you may find several places that have the older editions in .pdf form.

Post Reply

Return to “Older and Obsolete Signal Sources”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests