Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

VISA - device reported an input protocol error

Questions in this forum area are community supported. Tektronix does not regularly monitor or guarantee responses in this area.
mattb5906

VISA - device reported an input protocol error

Post by mattb5906 » May 23rd, 2014, 5:20 am

This is a repeat post from here:
http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/VISA-un ... -p/2860664

I am using a Tektronix AFG3022B Function Generator with latest firmware connected via USB and LabVIEW 2013 SP1 patch 2 (13.0.1f2) 32bit with NI-VISA 5.4.1.

If I have a small timeout, say 100ms, and perform a save operation and op complete query on the device (*SAV 1;OPC?), then do up to 10 VISA reads; the first few reads time out (as expected), but then I frequently get the following error:
-1073807305 (0xBFFF0037) VI_ERROR_INP_PROT_VIOL. "Device reported an input protocol error during transfer."

Once this occurs, the whole VISA session seems to become unstable and lots of the read operations fail returing this error code and not the timeout error (0xBFFF0015 (VI_ERROR_TMO)).

This only seems to happen when I do save/recall operations (either internal or to a mass storage device connected to the instrument), all other commands/queries timeout for the first few reads (as expected) then return the value. Do you think this is probably down to poor instrument firmware/hardware? Or am I using the VISA incorrectly? I would have thought that attempting to read VISA data too soon should only generate a timeout error and not a protocol error.

Reason for small timeouts:

Instead of setting the timeout to 4 seconds and having no way of cancelling the read operation I set the timeout to 100ms and run a for loop up to 40 times ignoring timout errors unless it's the last loop iteration. This means I can the operation within ~100ms.

What causes the VISA protocol error? I can't find much information on it.

Once the protocol error occurs and I keep repeating the *SAV command, I get the following error:

-1073807303 (0xBFFF0039) VI_ERROR_IN_PROGRESS. "Unable to queue the asynchronous operation because there is already an operation in progress."

Once this error occurs, how can I force a clear on the VISA queue without unplugging/power cycling the instrument.

Return to “Older and Obsolete Signal Sources”