Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

time-value mapping of arbitrary waveform

Questions in this forum area are community supported. Tektronix does not regularly monitor or guarantee responses in this area.
frank_r

time-value mapping of arbitrary waveform

Post by frank_r » September 10th, 2014, 2:20 am

Hi all,

I have generated an arbitrary waveform using Arb Express for AFG3022B. I loaded the .tfw-file to AFG3022B and discovered that the time<-->value - mapping of the generated signal depends on the frequency f which is currently chosen at the function generator. A single period of the generated signal spans 1/f seconds. Is this the only possible mode of time-value mapping? I find it more natural to separate each value by the sampling period of the instrument: 1/(250*10^6)seconds.

Thanks in advance
Frank

Chris B
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Re: time-value mapping of arbitrary waveform

Post by Chris B » September 10th, 2014, 9:50 am

You would run out of memory depth very quickly for low frequency signals using that approach. The sample rate your file plays at is as you describe. I find it easier to think of it as how much time does my signal play for, then enter the parameter in that way, instead of as in frequency.

Arbitrary waveforms really only describe a signals amplitude and time with respects to itself, since the absolute value of the amplitude and frequency are generated on the fly. E.G. When you select the sine wave patter on the front panel, you are not stuck one a 5vp-p 1K sine wave, you tell it how to play that. Your arbitrary waveform is like the sine button.

Return to “Older and Obsolete Signal Sources”