Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

AWG7102 communication, Win7 64, matlab 2011 (32, 64 bit)

Questions in this forum area are community supported. Tektronix does not regularly monitor or guarantee responses in this area.
twododsdad

AWG7102 communication, Win7 64, matlab 2011 (32, 64 bit)

Post by twododsdad » January 20th, 2015, 1:25 pm

Thanks in advance for any help, this is my first posting.

I am trying to use a Matlab (2011b) script to communicate with an AWG7102. I have tried TCPIP, VISA (VXI-11 server) and RAW Socket, as well as GPIB (VISA).

I am able to establish a connection and execute some commands and queries. (for example *IDN?, MMEM:CDIR?, MMEM:CDIR "\MyNewDirectory", MMEM:CAT?, OUTP[n]:STAT 1 (or 0), AWGC:RUN (or STOP) all produce the expected result).

However, others produce no result, for example I cannot import a waveform (AWG700 series waveform) using MMEM:IMP "wfmName", "fileName.wfm", wfm. I also cannot set a waveform to a channel using, for example, SOUR1:FUNC:USER: "fileName.wfm".

Having looked around on various forums I have been unable to find a solution or explanation.

Other details:
I do have labview installed on this computer.
I installed tekVISA (latest ver4.x) which runs at start up (balloon pops up over the notification area as it discovers instruments)
These difficulties existed before installing TekVISA
MatLab only sees NI VISA.

Code: Select all

instrhwinfo('visa')

ans = 

InstalledAdaptors: {'ni'}
       JarFileVersion: 'Version 3.0.0'
Again, thanks for any help or direction,
Cal

P.S. As per some suggestions I have uninstalled TekVISA and "repaired" NIVISA. No change so far

twododsdad

Re: AWG7102 communication, Win7 64, matlab 2011 (32, 64 bit)

Post by twododsdad » January 20th, 2015, 5:38 pm

Updating my situation:
After uninstalling TekVISA and "reapairing" NIVISA I have had some intermittant successes loading a user waveform using

fprintf(DeviceID, 'SOUR1:FUNC:USER "MyWaveform.wfm", "C:"')
However sometimes I cannot update, change the waveform. In fact after deleting all waveforms from the setup, and thus clearing the waveform from channel 1, the

query(DeviceID, 'SOUR1:FUNC:USER?')
still returns the value from the previous waveform.

Thanks

Carl M
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Carl M » February 13th, 2015, 11:44 am

what value is the target instruments Event Status Register? (*esr?) what is the reply from syst:err? you have to repeat the syst:err? query until it replies 'No error' to read all the messages. use *cls to flush the ESR.

did you not know these commands? i couldn't do any development without them.
Tektronix Application Engineer

twododsdad

Post by twododsdad » February 27th, 2015, 9:12 am

All,
(Sorry I didn't see your reply Buck for some reason haven't seen a notification. Thanks for the information I do look at errors but have done so much since my last post, visitors in lab etc... that I don't remember)

My solution/hack was as follows. The labview code I need to run needs the 32 bit NI VISA and the MATLAB code I need to communicate with the AWG seems to need the 64 bit Tek VISA so I have (inadvisably, I admit) left the 32 bit NI in SysWOW 64 and the 32 bit Tek in System32 and all is working now. (will certainly cause problems in the future when I need to do other things...)

I will experiment some more with getting the NI driver to work communicating with the AWG starting with Buck's suggestions/question.)

Thanks for the help,
Cal

Carl M
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Carl M » March 25th, 2015, 2:45 pm

i'm sorry, I haven't had the problems you are describing. you seem to have already done what i recommend in VISA conflict situations which is to choose one VISA and remove the other. short of trying a second computer, i'm not sure what you can do to fix this.

Return to “Older and Obsolete Signal Sources”