Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

TekScope Utility Support

Patrick_Huang

Re: TekScope Utility Support

Post by Patrick_Huang » December 3rd, 2019, 6:36 am

Thanks Dave.

Yes. I set it to 2000 ms. It works.

It won't work if it is auto.

Thanks,

Patrick

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » December 3rd, 2019, 8:11 am

Ahh, it sounds like the delay I have for Auto is a little too short then. Thanks for letting me know. I will make sure to bump it up a little higher in the next release.

Patrick_Huang

Re: TekScope Utility Support : datalog stopped due to error

Post by Patrick_Huang » December 19th, 2019, 6:34 am

Datalog stopped due to error. Here is the log file:

2019-12-18 8:56:41 PM Logging Measurements
2019-12-18 8:56:41 PM Saving Data for Event 907 Complete
Exception occured during data logging.
Ivi.Visa.NativeVisaException: The connection for the given session has been lost.
at NationalInstruments.Visa.Internal.ErrorChecker.CheckStatusAndThrow(Int32 status, SafeVisaHandle visaObject)
at NationalInstruments.Visa.Internal.MessageBasedSessionImpl.Write(Byte* buffer, Int64 index, Int64 count)
at NationalInstruments.Visa.Internal.MessageBasedSessionImpl.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int64 index, Int64 count)
at Ivi.Visa.MessageBasedReaderWriter.FlushWrite(Boolean sendEnd)
at Ivi.Visa.MessageBasedReaderWriter.Write(Byte* pData, Int64 index, Int64 count, Boolean flush)
at Ivi.Visa.MessageBasedReaderWriter.Write(Byte[] data, Int64 index, Int64 count, Boolean flush)
at Ivi.Visa.MessageBasedReaderWriter.Write(Byte[] data, Boolean flush)
at Ivi.Visa.FormattedIO.MessageBasedFormattedIO.WriteLine(String data)
at Tektronix.Data.TekScopeDataXferSession.Tektronix.Data.ITekScopeAcquisition.get_State()
at Tektronix.Data.TekScopeDataLogger.checkSaveOnEventOccured()
at Tektronix.Data.TekScopeDataLogger.DataLoggingThread()
2019-12-18 8:56:49 PM Data Logger Stopped: Error
Screen capture attached.
TekscopeUtilityStopped.png
Data Log stopped due to error
TekscopeUtilityStopped.png (322.52 KiB) Viewed 475 times
Please advise what setting is missing.
Attachments
Ivi.Visa.xml
(512.67 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » January 8th, 2020, 11:18 am

Hi Patrick,

That error originates from VISA. It seem that communication with the scope was lost for some reason. I can only speculate as to why that would happen, but it has nothing to do with TekScope Utility.

I will make a note for the next release that I should add functionality to the DataLogger to try to recover from VISA errors. Right now it's one error form VISA and it quits.

brccd00

Post by brccd00 » January 14th, 2020, 8:52 am

We are trying to connect a Tektronix scope MSO2014B to a win7 32bit machine.
Installed the tekscope utility, and see no selections available for the instrument ID area.

It is connected via usb, but there is only setup for serial....

National instruments in not installed on this machine, do we need the ni-visa installed?

is there an mso2014 driver?

We are stuck!!! HELP!
Bert

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » January 23rd, 2020, 4:00 pm

Hi brccd00,

TekScope Utility requires VISA software that supports the IVI Standard VISA.NET library. This VISA software can be from any vendor as long as the vendor includes VISA.NET support. NI-VISA is the recommended VISA.

As for use on a 32-bit machine... I'm really not sure if it will work or not as I have only ever developed it for and tested on a 64-bit machine. I compiled the program using the "Any CPU" setting in the Visual Studio project and I know the .NET run-time just-in-time compiler may be able to compile it for 32-bit (x86) at run-time, but again I have never tried so I can't tell you if it will work.

MiMatt

Post by MiMatt » January 28th, 2020, 1:22 pm

Good Day,

@Dave W: I am seriously surprised that only a few forum users have made some positive comments about your TekScope utility.

I have just connected my (older by modern standards) MSO2024 oscilloscope to my Windows 10 PC via its standard USB-Interface.
Using some IVI Standard drivers from a previous installation, the TekScope utility connected to my MSO2024 immediately.

I have then updated the IVI driver as well as the MSO2024's Firmware (from release version 1.39 to the latest release 1.56).

I want to thank you for your time and efforts you have spent on this! Your utility is breathing new life into our MSO. Great work, and all this at 0 costs.
:D

Here is a friendly hint for other Tektronix MSO20xx-users: While the Hardcopy tab worked right from the start, the Data Logger and Digital tabs have failed. I have changed the Fetch delay settings in the Data Logger from Auto to 2000 ms, and voilá: It works just fine.

The only tab which I have failed into submission is the Setup tab, as it produces an error message "Communication with the instrument timed out. Please ensure the connection with the instrument and that data is available to read." I have evaluated various time out settings using NI MAX up to 10000 ms, and a short, good quality USB-cable with a ferrite on it, directly connected to the PC's USB-port (not via a hub). It fails, but I can certainly live with that...

Cheers,

MiMatt

P.S. I am sure other users have noticed the Tekscope name as a reference to the "classic" Technical information for Tektronix customers brochure with the same name

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » January 31st, 2020, 4:35 pm

Hi MiMatt,

Thanks for the kind words.

For the Auto Fetch Delay setting on the DataLogger I have the program using values that seemed to work on the limited number of scopes I was able to test with, but the Auto setting is by no means guaranteed to work. I put the manual fetch delay setting in there just for that reason, so users could tweak it to a value that works for their setup.

As for the setup tab failing, are you talking about on fetching the setup or on loading the setup? If it is failing on fetching the setup then it sounds like the scope for some reason is not responding to the *LRN? command. Either that or it doesn't like that the command is compounded with 2 other commands, one to turn headers off and one to turn verbose on. Specifically the program sends "HEADER 0;VERBOSE 1;*LRN?". Try sending this is with VISA Interactive Window and see what happens, then also try sending *LRN? by itself and let me know what happens. I don't believe I ever tried this with anything but an MSO2024B. Maybe the non-letter model responds differently? Let me know and I can get that updated in the next released.

TekJared

Post by TekJared » March 24th, 2020, 6:06 am

Hi all,

I've been using Wavestar for years and also more recently directly connecting to scopes using their IP address and built-in web features. This software looks great, but I'm having trouble getting it to work.

My first error is when I try to do "Select Instrument". I get an error: "No vendor-specific VISA .NET implementation is installed." I still have Wavestar and its version of TekVISA installed. I've also installed NI-VISA package, which I believe over-wrote the TekVISA version of the visa.dll.

I also have trouble with NI-MAX and cannot get the scope to show up in that device list either.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or forgot to install?

Thanks in advance!

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » March 24th, 2020, 9:31 am

Hi TekJared,

Looks like you have some VISA issues to sort out. The message about "No vendor-specific VISA .NET implementation is installed." you received is because TekVISA does not support the IVI Standard VISA.NET interface which TekScope Utility uses so this is expected if you only have TekVISA installed. NI-VISA does support this interface as of version 15.0 or later. However, if NI-VISA and the NI-MAX utility are unable to communicate with the instrument, TekScope Utility will not be able to either so we need to sort out the VISA issue first.

You mentioned that you were using WaveStar so I'm guessing that the copy of TekVISA you have installed may be very old? Do you know what version of TekVISA you are using? Older versions likely would have many compatibility issues being installed alongside other VISAs on the system. If you need to have both TekVISA and NI-VISA installed along side one another, you will want to be running at least TekVISA 4.1 or later as these have a VISA conflict manager utility in them to manage side by side installations. On the NI-VISA side, I wouldn't use anything older than 17.5.

Assuming you don't have really old versions of either VISA installed, then it's likely you just need to go adjust the settings in the VISA conflict manager utility. Adjust the settings to use NI-VISA as the preferred VISA and possibly even disable TekVISA altogether in the utility. This should get NI-VISA talking to instruments at which point TekScope Utility should work.

If you are running old versions of the VISAs, then I'd recommend a clean start. Un-install both NI-VISA and TekVISA and reboot. Download the latest TekVISA and NI-VISA versions. If you don't actually need TekVISA anymore then don't bother installing it, just go straight to installing NI-VISA. However, if you do need it, install TekVISA first then NI-VISA. Once all your installers are complete, go to the VISA Conflict manager and adjust the settings to NI-VISA is the preferred VISA.

Hope this helps!

ta1mua

Post by ta1mua » April 24th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Hi.
I cannot connect to my TDS2022C oscilloscope with TekScope Utility. It gives the following error:
Error : The selected resource is not supported. Please select another resource and try again.
What could be the problem?

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » April 24th, 2020, 3:10 pm

Hi ta1mua,

This usually happens when the instrument returns an unrecognized ID Query string when the software connects to it.

If you can, please open your VISA interactive panel and send *IDN? to the instrument and read back the response and post it in here. I'd like to see what your scope is sending back to see if it matches, or why it does not match, the supported ID strings.

ta1mua

Post by ta1mua » April 25th, 2020, 2:23 am

I sent *IDN? to the instrument and read back the response. I attached the screenshot.
Attachments
visa-tek.png
visa-tek.png (104.47 KiB) Viewed 323 times

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » April 27th, 2020, 9:28 am

Hmm... OK your ID string is exactly the format that is expected so that isn't the issue.

I looked over the code and that error message comes from the following sources.
  • The ID string does not consist of 4 parts <Manufacturer>,<Model>,<Serial>,<Software>
  • The manufacturer is not Tektronix (note: letter case does not matter)
  • The model does not match what is supported.
The ID string you listed in your last message meets all the criteria so you should not be getting that unsupported message if that is the ID string the program is receiving. This would indicate that that is NOT the ID string the program is receiving. The question then is why?

Do you have multiple USB instruments connected? Is it possible the wrong one was selected? When you selected the instrument from the Select Instrument window, did the VISA address string in the Select Instrument Window match what you opened with VISA interactive?

Another thing you can try doing is opening the IO Trace utility and spying on the commands sent when you open the resource and see what the *IDN? query is actually responded to with. This will let us know what the program is actually receiving and help determine what the actual problem is.

garwing

Post by garwing » June 23rd, 2020, 1:47 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for writing this utility! I have a couple of related questions:

1. I have been attempting to speed test data transfer from my TBS1052B scope and found that it takes 2.8s/channel (2500 pnts) for both ASCII and RIB modes using custom Python code. This seemed contrary to what the manual suggests (that RIB should be faster). This led me onto your Utility, with the idea of benchmarking my times against yours to check if there are delays in my Pythoning. I'm a bit surprised at the low speeds and the fact that the format didnt matter. It seems like there's some fixed overhead that's model dependent. Do you have any idea what sort of transfer times I should be expecting?

2. I have managed to get the TekScope Utility working. It sees the scope and I can query *IDN? with a successful return. However, when I try to get data from any of the channels using the Waveform tab, I get a "Error Communicating with Instrument" error ("Communication with the instrument timed out...."). Any idea why this is happening?

Some details of my system:
Windows 10
TekScope utility 1.2.1.1
NI VISA 20.0, 64bit
TBS1052B, FW v4.06

Thanks!

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » June 25th, 2020, 5:08 pm

Hi garwing,

I haven't used a TBS1000B Series scope in a while so I can say for sure, but those times seem in the ballpark. A lot of the overhead is just in the processing of the commands by the scope. If you time the actual time it takes for purely the transfer itself, RiB is less time than ASCII, because it's less data to send and it physically is sent at the same rate. However, the overhead makes the overall time not that much different.

As for the timeout error, that's hard to say. If you can provide a .nitrace file from NI IO Trace that captures the error when it happens I could look it over and see where the timeout is occurring and maybe figure out what is going on.

garwing

Post by garwing » June 26th, 2020, 4:00 pm

Thanks for explaining the data transfer speed situation. It looks like I will need a different tool for the job, but it was good to get some confirmation that this seems ballpark correct to you.

Thanks also for pointing me towards the NI I/O Tracer... I wasnt aware of this tool previously. Looking at the output, your utility sends "HOR:DEL?" to the scope, and this causes the timeout. I independently checked this behavior by sending the same thing using NI MAX and pyvisa. Both times out because a response is not received. Looking at the programming manual, this should be a valid query -- so, I can only imagine there's a bug in the firmware.

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » June 29th, 2020, 2:44 pm

Hi Garwing,

You said your scope was a TBS1052B. Is this an EDU model or a non-EDU model? I see a note in the programmer's manual that that command is not supported on non-EDU models. If you have an EDU model then that would explain it.

If this is the case, I thought I had taken care of that, but looking in the code I see that I have not. This means that either I never had an EDU model to test or the EDU model I had must have had a different firmware on it that returned some value for HOR:DEL?, probably 0. In either case, I will need to fix that and post an update.

Schnittker

Post by Schnittker » July 15th, 2020, 9:55 am

Hi Dave,
First, thanks so much for making this code.
I am using a TBS1052B scope, and unfortunately, that scope does not have FFT averaging in the firmware.... which I really need to separate random noise from the transform.

Right now I am saving 10 FFTs on flash drive, and then pasting each trace in excel and taking the average. Very slow and painful.
I wanted to try this software to see if it could do FFT average, or allow me to code that in, or at least make a cleaner file transfer than a flash drive.
I was able to download, but it seems I dont understand how to make it connect to the scope.
Identify scope.png
Identify scope.png (60.68 KiB) Viewed 46 times
I also have the "OpenChoice Desktop installed, and it connects to the scope with out issue, but is rather limited on functionality.

So could you either let me know what I am doing wrong to connect my scope, or, if you think that this software wont help with my FFT challenge, then perhaps I should abandon the effort?
Or maybe its time to buy a new scope (R&S has averaging) or a low frequency spectrum analyzer.
Thanks so much
-Mark

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » July 15th, 2020, 12:02 pm

Hi Mark,

You definitely have a VISA issue there which is common when you have more than one VISA installed (I have TekVISA and NI-VISA installed at the same time too so I've encountered some of these problems as well).

I think what is happening is that NI-VISA is providing the VISA.NET interface that TekScope Utility needs, but then VISA is configured to use TekVISA by default so the VISA.NET interface is looking for functions that don't exist in TekVISA's version of the VISA library. What should fix this is to go either into the TekVISA 64 Conflict manager or in the VISA conflict manager in NI-MAX and set NI-VISA as the default VISA. Once this is applied it should fix the problem (try a reboot if it doesn't work right after applying the new default).

Return to “Programming Support”