Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

TekScope Utility Support

Schnittker

Re: TekScope Utility Support

Post by Schnittker » July 21st, 2020, 7:16 am

Dave,
Thanks for this reply. Unfortunately, I am not sure how to proceed.
I do not have any NI products that I knowingly installed (Have not used LabView for ~20 years).
Do I need to install NIVisa for the TekScope utility to work?

I did a search on my computer and did not find NIVisa, but I found a TeKVisa "Resource manager", which, when opened gave information on how to use the OpenChoice application.

Is this some kind of conflict? Would it help to un-install OpenChoice?

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » July 21st, 2020, 10:02 am

You don't specifically need NI-VISA, just a VISA that supports the IVI Standard VISA.NET interface. NI-VISA is what the program was developed using so I know it works, but in theory it should work with other vendor's VISA as long as VISA.NET is supported. For example, it should work with the latest R&S VISA as well.

If you have OpenChoice TekVISA installed and are using OpenChoice Desktop then I would leave it installed. If you have no need for OpenChoice Desktop or other applications that require TekVISA then un-installing OpenChoice TekVISA should help resolve conflicts.

With that said, you will need some VISA with VISA.NET support. You can grab NI-VISA from the following URL.

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downlo ... tml#346210

The program was developed on version 17.5 and 18.5, but should work with the latest NI-VISA as well.

dominik

Post by dominik » August 30th, 2020, 5:46 am

Hi Dave,

thanks for providing this extremely neat and helpful piece of software.
Recently, I ran into a problem while fetching waveforms from a MDO 34 scope measuring the test/calibration voltage. Instead of displaying the square wave signal, the plot of the waveform and the exported .csv file only shows noise in the 10^8 range? Capturing screenshots/hard copy works just fine.
Is there a known problem or am I doing something wrong?

Kind Regards,
Dominik

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » September 10th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Hi dominik. Hmm, that definitely sounds odd. Would you be able to capture an IOTrace file of fetching the waveform data along with a screenshot of the scope and the saved .csv and send that to me vi private message? That will help me in determining what happened.

cprijatel

Post by cprijatel » September 16th, 2020, 5:50 am

Hi Dave,

I have been using the TekScope Utility tool for a while and everything has been working great! however this week I have been running into this error that I cant seem to figure out. Every time i go to select an instrument I get the message "Failed to find resources matching (ASRL|GPIB|TCPIP|USB)?*INSTR". using the same software and oscilloscope on another co-workers computer it works fine, and when I use the Tektronix OpenChoice Desktop app I am able to connect to the device, I just cant connect using TekScope Utility. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cory

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » September 16th, 2020, 9:31 am

Hi cprijatel, it sounds like you have both OpenChoice Desktop and TekScope Utility? My guess then is that you are experiencing a VISA conflict that needs to be resolved. OpenChoice Desktop installed TekVISA, but TekScope Utility relies on IVI VISA.NET library support which TekVISA does not have, thus why NI-VISA is recommended. My guess would be that TekVISA has been set as your default VISA so TekScope Utility is unable to find resources because it doesn't know how to talk to TekVISA.
Try going into your VISA conflict manager (either the one provided by TekVISA or the one inside of NI-MAX) and set NI-VISA as your default VISA then save the settings. You may need to reboot for the setting to take effect, but you shouldn't need to. TekScope Utility should work again after this.

cprijatel

Post by cprijatel » September 18th, 2020, 9:39 am

Dave,

Yes I have both, however I do not use the OpenChoice Desktop app anymore. I tried the steps you suggested and it did not work. Even with a reboot. is there anything else I can try?

Thanks,

Cory

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » September 18th, 2020, 9:54 am

Hi cprijatel. There is a good chance that when TekVISA installed, it broke NI-VISA. You could try going into the NI Software manager and repairing the NI-VISA installation. If that doesn't work, then I would recommend a start over. Uninstall OpenChoice and TekVISA and uninstall NI-VISA as well. Reboot and then re-install NI-VISA. After all that you should hopefully be back in action.

wclarke76

Post by wclarke76 » September 21st, 2020, 7:40 am

Hi Dave
First of all, thanks for the TekScope Utility, it has helped me tremendously. I am having some issues with the Data-logger, it sometimes time out while collecting data and I just dont know how to fix it. Attached is the error that I saw in the log.
I am using a MSO 2024B Oscope
Just started to learn to code in python during covid and so I am also wondering if it is possible to write code just to do Data logging from the scope? Would love to share my first attempt at this with you if your are also welling to critique?
Attachments
Error from log.txt
(2.59 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » September 21st, 2020, 5:11 pm

Hi wclarke76. I know this may be a bit much to ask, but could you run the data logger again with NI IOTrace running and capturing the communications and then after the problem happens, save/export the trace to a .nitrace file so I can see more details about where the timeout is ocurring. I'm curious as to the nature of it.

I noticed in the file you included that it appears that the data-logger was running for a while (I'm making that assumption based on the number of events logged). It seems that maybe after some time, the scope goes unresponsive (network issue? I dunno) and a query sent to the instrument that normally works just fine, this time around the scope just doesn't respond to it. I don't think there is too much you can do from your end to fix it, but like I said, if you can send me an IO Trace of the issue happening, that would be helpful and may give me some insight on ways to avoid the issue occurring.

wclarke76

Post by wclarke76 » September 23rd, 2020, 11:59 am

Hi Dave

I not sure if this will assist in the answering of my question but I seem to have been using TekVisa or some other visa software other than NI visa. I know this because I had to install Ni software to get NI IOtrace.
Now I have NI IOtrace and the data logger running and well give you feedback as soon as the instrument timeout again.
In addition to the datalogger timing out, I also have to reset the oscilloscope, the waveform that was last recorded remains on the screen and will only be removed when it is powered off. On powering back on I would then have to reset the scope to the previous settings to see my signal.

Best regards
Wayne

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » September 28th, 2020, 4:45 pm

Hi Wayne. Are you saying that after the timeout occurs, the scope freezes and you can't interact with it at all (remote or front panel) until you restart it?

wclarke76

Post by wclarke76 » September 29th, 2020, 9:16 am

Hi Dave

I have the scope connected a ultrasonic pulser/receiver. Typically when it times out, I would remove the transducers from my sample. When this is done one would expect the signal on the scope to change, since no pulse is going through the sample. However the last signal on the scope before the time out remains. I am able to use the scan knob to zoom in and out on different sections of the waveform. The problem is that this waveform remains on the scope and is only removed when I power off and then on the scope.

Best regards
Wayne

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » September 29th, 2020, 11:04 am

Sounds like the scope is still responsive to front panel input. After the timeout occurs, can you try going over to the Waveform tab and see if you can fetch the waveform data? If TekScope Utility can establish a connection and fetch the waveform data then it seems that the timeout error is recoverable by disconnecting and reconnecting to the scope.

Right now the data logger only has error handling coded into it (error detector stops rather than program crashing from an un-handled exception). It does not have error recovery which is something I want to add.

Return to “Programming Support”