Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Micropolis HD wont spin up

Elektraglide

Micropolis HD wont spin up

Post by Elektraglide » February 15th, 2011, 3:04 am

The HD in my Tektronix 4404 starts to spin up to speed - almost gets there judging by thesounds - but then cuts out and spins back down.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how to fix these? I've read elsewhere that the head gets 'stuck' in its parking area and freezing + fast twist can free it up..

Is this true? Sounds scary.

Adam

cap

Re: Micropolis HD wont spin up

Post by cap » February 15th, 2011, 12:34 pm

Hello,

When their stuck, and don't spin, sometimes you can give them a slight tap and then power on. If it is spinning but not up to speed then cutting out it sounds like there is a overcurrent condition in the drive. If you really need the data off the platters you could possibly swap them into a donor drive and copy that data to a new drive.

cap

Elektraglide

Post by Elektraglide » February 15th, 2011, 2:09 pm

OK, why would overcurrent cause this? And can I not just fix the overcurrent issue rather than trying to swap platters?

Unsurprisingly given its age, nothing critical on there, just my first steps at some 3D programming I'd like to see again if possible.

Adam

cap

Post by cap » February 18th, 2011, 12:09 pm

Just a guess, say the bearings on the hard drive are wearing out, so the platter is drawing more current for longer to ramp up speed. Or it could be that you have a bad cap or electrical short where the system is no longer providing propper voltages. Sounds like something is causing the drive to cut out, might be the drive or something the drive is attached too. cap

Gorgon

Post by Gorgon » April 6th, 2011, 12:45 am

Read head failure can also cause this.
The firmware will try and start the drive - then try a read - if this fails - you'll often hear a few attempts at moving the head - then the drive will spin down.

Return to “Programming Support”