Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

PWS2000 password

eetechTom

PWS2000 password

Post by eetechTom » June 14th, 2011, 6:26 am

I have 5 PWS2000 series power supplies and I need to know how to create a password for the lockout feature. I looked in the manuals and cannot find the procedure for this.
Thanks in advance.

eetechTom

Re: PWS2000 password

Post by eetechTom » June 14th, 2011, 7:02 am

Well I've figured out how to enter the password but I wasn't too happy to learn that after powering the unit off and on the key lock mode is reset to off. The password is held in memory but if the user can disable the key lock by cycling power what good is that feature really??

dlnelson

Post by dlnelson » June 17th, 2011, 9:13 am

The intent of the password is to allow the operator set a password such to prevent people from making changes to settings while a test is in progress. Having someone accidentally make changes to the settings during, say, a burn-in test would invalidate the results and cost a lot of time and money. The typical way of preventing this is to hang “Test in Progress” signs around. The password just adds another level of protection and confidence that a 2-hour test at, say 5.5V, really was a test for 2-hours at 5.5V. The password is not intended to work like a password you set on your computer.
Tektronix

eetechTom

Post by eetechTom » June 17th, 2011, 9:45 am

OK, I get it. Just not that useful for my situation of undergrad engineering lab use. Trying to keep students from accidentally frying expensive emulator pods but at some point you have to trust they know better.
I will say this seems like a very well built piece of equipment for the money, hope to get many years of service out of these.

Return to “Programming Support”