Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

TimeVIEW FCA3100 time interval measurements

mark.daly

TimeVIEW FCA3100 time interval measurements

Post by mark.daly » October 12th, 2011, 6:54 am

Hello,

I want to know if I can use the FCA3100 to measure the time interval between a start pulse at A and a stop pulse at B. I've been reading over the manuals etc. and I am unsure about what it can do. It looks like the device has the resolution I need, I would need approximately 1ns resolution,the lower the better, but I don't know if it is possible to record the time intervals between the pulses continously and export them so I could create a histogram using the TimeVIEW software. Maybe it is possible with the provided LabVIEW drivers? If anyone could clear this up for me it would be great.

I'm looking to use the device for photon correlation, if that is of any help.

Carl M
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Re: TimeVIEW FCA3100 time interval measurements

Post by Carl M » October 21st, 2011, 1:51 pm

i don't have access to a FCA3100, nor have I used one for the purpose you've described.

could you contact your local distributor for a demonstration? this way you can test it yourself.
Tektronix Application Engineer

w2aew
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Re: TimeVIEW FCA3100 time interval measurements

Post by w2aew » October 28th, 2011, 12:27 pm

mark.daly wrote:Hello,

I want to know if I can use the FCA3100 to measure the time interval between a start pulse at A and a stop pulse at B. I've been reading over the manuals etc. and I am unsure about what it can do. It looks like the device has the resolution I need, I would need approximately 1ns resolution,the lower the better, but I don't know if it is possible to record the time intervals between the pulses continously and export them so I could create a histogram using the TimeVIEW software. Maybe it is possible with the provided LabVIEW drivers? If anyone could clear this up for me it would be great.

I'm looking to use the device for photon correlation, if that is of any help.
It looks like the FCA3000 series can do what you want. If you select the Measurement type as "Time", then you can select "Time Interval" as the function, then select one of the following: "A to B", "A to A", "B to A", or "B to B". I would also assume that the TimeVIEW software would support the logging of this measurement. Also, the instrument itself can provide you with Statistics, a histogram, or even a time-trend plot of this measurement.

Return to “Programming Support”