Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

TekScope Utility Support

TekUser_Ray

Re: TekScope Utility Support

Post by TekUser_Ray » January 22nd, 2021, 8:40 am

Hi Guys, great little app. Really helped when my MS Office was "upgraded" to 64-bit where I was no longer able to use the Excel Macro (Tekxltoolbar)...

Anyway, it would be awesome if you could have a capture option where the hardcopy (screen image) went to the clipboard (that that it can be simply pasted into the document I'm editing). This would be the perfect upgrade from my perspective and I'm sure others as well.

I hope you'll consider it!

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » January 22nd, 2021, 10:07 am

Hi TekUser_Ray,

In versions previous to 1.3.0 there was a rich-click menu on the hard copy that allowed you to copy the image to the clipboard. It looks like this was missed when the major code changes under the hood in 1.3.0 were done. I have re-added this in version 1.3.1. You can get the new version from the downloads section of the main TekScope Utility thread.

gbsgbs

Post by gbsgbs » February 1st, 2021, 7:21 am

Hi Dave,

does this application specifically require .NET Framework 4.6? Since I want to run this program on a work PC, I am somewhat limited by the software I can easily install and it would be easier to install the newest version 4.8.

Also generally, when I start the application and try to select an instrument (trying to connect to a MSO58), the following error occurs: Unable to find an entry point named 'VISACM_GetInstalledVisaCount2' in DLL 'visaVonfMgr.dll'

Since I haven't installed NI Visa nor .NET Framework yet, I think installing them might do the trick. Hence my question about the .NET Framework version. But for the VISA.NET library, there is already OpenChoice Desktop installed to communicate with other Oscilloscopes. Additionally Windows shows me that there is already a program by the name "VISA Shared Components 64Bit" and also i can start "VISA64 Conflict Manager". So it seems that there are already some things installed that utilize some form of VISA. Is it possible that I don't need to install NI Visa, is it possible to find out if the VISA.NET library is already available?

Or does the error point towards something else entirely?

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » February 1st, 2021, 10:27 am

Hi gbsgbs,

While I can't say with complete certainty, the article from Microsoft at the following URL suggests that .NET Framework 4.8 should be able to run applications compiled for .NET Framework 4.6 so you should be OK just installing 4.8.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet ... patibility

TekScope Utility requires that a VISA layer that supports the IVI Standard VISA.NET interface be installed in order for it to work. If you do not have a VISA installed that supports VISA.NET, you will usually get an error that says something like, Could not a find Vendor specific VISA.NET compatible interface, but depending on your software configuration you may get errors similar to the ones you describe.

The VISA that is bundled with OpenChoice Desktop does not support the IVI standard VISA.NET interface and is thus not compatible with TekScope Utility. NI-VISA does support this interface and it is the VISA I used while developing the application. That said, there are other vendors whose VISA package does include an IVI standard VISA.NET interface so NI-VISA is not an explicit requirement. NI-VISA is probably the most polished VISA out there though as NI releases updates to it annually if not semi-annually. Of course after doing this now for many years it is also probably the most bloated... but it does work well and includes some nice tools.

Sguazzin

Post by Sguazzin » February 15th, 2021, 9:21 am

Hi Dave,
sorry but I'm new of the forum. I hope this is the right section for my question.
Recently at my laboratory we have started to work with a MSO56 (Mixed Signal Oscilloscope)
but we got many problems in the use of the TekScope utility software in combination with the Oscilloscope.
In principle, we would like to use this oscilloscope for the acquisition of triggered signals coming from a detector.
In this way we want to acquire the analog waveforms of the signals and save them as -
(.png) and files (.txt).
Using a USB connection (more stable than the LAN one which produces frequently a timeout error)
we tried to collect the waveforms.
If we save them as screenshots (.png) no problem is found and all the - are saved in
the pc memory.
On the contrary, saving the analog waveforms as data files (.txt) the documents are in general empty or with data
inside (time and amplitude) equal to zero. We don't understand the source of the problem.
I hope you can help me.
Thank you so much.
Best regards,
Michele

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » March 22nd, 2021, 5:29 pm

Hi Michele,

I can't say what is creating the problem that you are experiencing. Are you using the data logger or are you saving waveforms using the wWaveform tab?

What would help me most is if you could using the NI IOTrace utility to capture and send me a .nitrace file of the instrument communication when this problem occurs. This will give me a lot of insight as to what TekScope Utility is receiving from the scope. Also, if you could send me an example of the saved waveform data file, this will help as well.

Finally, if you have not updated the firmware on your MSO56 to the latest version, please do.

Best regards,

Dave W

streyt

Post by streyt » March 25th, 2021, 9:23 am

Dear Dave,

First of all, THANKS a lot for your great tool! It really adds a lot of value to the MSO44 scopes we use in our company - since using USB drives is way too slow for the amount of data we want to pull from the scope and we're having trouble with connecting network folders...

I'm having a question to the scaling used in the CSV files created by the "Waveform" feature of your tool
FYI: I'm using TCP303 current probes with a TCPA300 amplifier in the channel of concern.

Edit: Please ignore the paragraph in italic, I confused the measurement data.
When measuring with 20A/div, I have to scale the value in the CSV file by dividing it with 10,000. The file header tells me "Vertical Scale 200000".
Once I use 50A/div, I have to divide it by 4,000 to obtain the correct current values. This time, the file header tells me "Vertical Scale 500000".
In both cases, the file header also contains "Probe Attenuation,0.01X"...
Do you have an explanation how those values are related?

Edit:
The vertical value vectors in the CSV file have to be divided by 10,000 to obtain the "real world values" as shown on the scope's display. What's the explanation for this scaling factor? It doesn't seem to correlate with the header data of the CSV file.
And about the time vector:
I have to scale it by dividing it with 10. Also, there seems to be a huge random offset not related with the values shown on the display.
Any ideas on that?

Thanks a lot again and Best Regards,
Fabian

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » April 1st, 2021, 11:08 am

Hi Streyt,

TekScope Utility does not manipulate scaling factors when transferring/saving the data. It receives the raw data from the scope and if the data is integer values TSU converts the data to floating point based on the scaling factors fetched from the scope otherwise if the data is already floating point, then no conversion is necessary. When writing the data to a .csv file, the floating point values are converted into text using the standard C# ToString() method. If the data is off by a large scaling factor then it is most likely because that is the data being sent by the scope to TSU.

To debug the issue, if you could send me a copy of one of the .CSV files where you see this problem along with a .nitrace IOTrace file that captures the data transfer, this would be most helpful. This will allow me to see exactly what TSU is receiving from the scope and what TSU is outputting.

iklein2115

Post by iklein2115 » April 7th, 2021, 12:13 pm

Dear Dave,

Thanks so much for this utility!! I'm wondering if there is a way to increase the data transfer rate from my TDS3054B to the PC. I'm using a 1kHz trigger and I want to collect the waveforms from two channels every trigger (i.e. every ms) and this doesn't seem to currently be possible. Is there a way to change the parameters etc to do this?

Thanks!
Isabel

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » April 7th, 2021, 1:01 pm

Hi Isabel,

No, there is no way to get the kind of speed you are looking for out of the TDS3054B.

Actually, I don't think there is a scope out there that can continuously deliver a stream waveform data at a rate of 1000 waveforms per second, per channel. The best you can do is use a scope with the FastFrame feature which segments the waveform memory into frames where each frame contains the waveform from a single trigger event. Scopes with this feature can capture waveforms at a rate up to the maximum trigger rate of the scope (typically 200,000-300,000+ waveforms per second). However, this rate can only be maintained until acquisition memory is full at which point the data must move from Acq memory to the system and then you can save it to your PC or local storage on the scope. The TDS3054B does not have this feature however. You will need something like a 4 Series or higher to get this feature.

streyt

Post by streyt » April 12th, 2021, 10:21 am

Hi Dave,

Sorry for not replying earlier.
Attached you can find the files you requested.
I also added a .CSV file which was saved directly on the MSO44 oscilloscope using the same measurement. (checkMSO44.csv)
This time, I used a normal probe and not a current probe, but it doesn't make a difference in the scaling you have to apply on the TSU generated file (compare to the MSO44 generated file).

Thanks for your help and best regards,
streyt
Attachments
TekscopeUtilityDebug.zip
(85.11 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

JustGolden

Post by JustGolden » April 13th, 2021, 2:10 pm

Hi Dave,

I tried using your program but I have some issues using it with a MSO 4054B. Supposedly, the DPO MSO 4000(B) series are supported but when I try to connect to my MSO 4054B, the program gives an error saying that the oscope isn't supported. Trying a different scope, I can connect to a DPO 4054 perfectly fine. Would you have any idea why this would be the case?

Best regards,
Victor

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » April 13th, 2021, 5:18 pm

Hi Victor (Just Golden). That one is easy. I stupidly missed that model in the list. :?

Try this build and let me know if it works or not.
TekScope Utility 1.3.3.0 Beta.zip
(271.02 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

streyt, the problem you are experiencing is more complicated...

From an initial scan of the IOTrace I don't see anything jumping out at me so I'm going to need to dig more to figure out what is going on here. The code that fetches data from the 4 series is the same code that fetches data from the 5 and 6 series and I've never heard of this issue before on those models. I'm going to have to dig through the trace more.

JustGolden

Post by JustGolden » April 14th, 2021, 10:44 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks! It works great now.

[Edit]
One thing I also noticed that when connecting over wifi instead of an ethernet connection, the program will not automatically detect the scope. However, it will connect to it if I input it manually. Would it be possible to include a way to manually save certain addresses into the "Select Instrument" page? Also, it would be nice if there was an option to choose what format the data will be saved in instead of only CSV, such as ISF for example.

Best regards,
Victor

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » April 15th, 2021, 10:05 am

Hi Streyt,

Exactly which version of TekScope Utility are you running? I got my hands on a 4 series MSO and attached a probe to CH1 connected to the probe comp signal and then setup the scope with the same horizontal and vertical settings that I saw in your trace and then transferred the waveform and saved it to disk. My IO Trace looks exactly the same as the one you sent me, but the data in my .csv file looks fine. There is no scaling issue.

streyt

Post by streyt » April 20th, 2021, 8:02 am

Hi Dave,

I'm using TekScope Utility Version 1.3.2.0
NI VISA seems to be Version 20.0

The MSO44 was running firmware 1.22.4 later I updated to Version 1.32.1 --> No difference!

Thanks for your efforts.

Best Regards,
streyt

iklein2115

Post by iklein2115 » April 27th, 2021, 9:50 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info, I figured out how to make my scope/set-up work for now!

That said, I've now encountered another weird problem. When my sampling is working off a fast trigger (500 pnts acquisition), TekScope captures the full waveform displayed on the oscilloscope. When I try to use a regular trigger (10,000 pnts acquisition), then the program only captures a small section of the waveform. Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks!
Isabel

jerive

Post by jerive » April 28th, 2021, 8:19 am

Hello,

I'm looking for a tool to extract data (CSV format or any other text format) from my TDS754D for processing on the PC and came across the TekScope utility. Unfortunately, it doesn't not support my scope. Are there any plans to add support for the TDS754D to the TekScope Utility?

Thank you.
Jorge

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » May 5th, 2021, 3:38 pm

Hi Isabel,

TekScope Utility queries the WFMP:NR_P? command to determine the number of points in the waveform to fetch. Whatever this command returns should be the number of points actually available.

How many points ARE being returned? Do you get similar results if you save to a .csv file on a USB thumb drive plugged into the scope?

Are you using the data logger feature in TekScope Utility? If you are not getting all the points, perhaps more fetch delay is needed?

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » May 5th, 2021, 4:12 pm

Hi Jorge,

I didn't have any plans to add support for the TDS754D. Based on a quick glance over the programmer's manual, the commands look pretty similar to the TDS3000 series. However, I do see some differences in the HARDCOPY section that will prevent it from working without modification. Commands for fetching waveforms though, nothing popped out during a quick glance.

I do not have a TDS754D so I really have no way to test it out at all if it works, but I could try enabling that model and let you give it a try.

Would you be able to send me the ID string the instrument responds back with when you send a *IDN? query? The TDS series scopes usually put a space between TDS and the model number (i.e. "TDS 754D"), but I want to make sure I have it right and that there is nothing else in the ID string that would throw off the parser.

If it works, it looks like there is a whole slew of old TDS scopes that it would add support for... at least limited support. I'd shoot for screenshots and waveforms at minimum.

Return to “Programming Support”